*The Weinstein Company has acquired distribution rights for the Forest Whitaker-produced “Fruitvale,” which follows the true story of 22-year-old Bay Area resident Oscar Grant who was unarmed when he was shot dead by police officers at the Fruitvale BART station.
The feature directorial debut of Ryan Coogler, who also wrote the screenplay, premiered to wide critical acclaim and overwhelmingly positive audience reactions Saturday night at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah.
Weinstein snapped up distribution rights at the festival for the U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, and South Africa; as well as worldwide international sales rights.
In “Fruitvale,” Grant is played by Michael B. Jordan (“Friday Night Lights”). Per a release from The Weinstein Co.: “This tragic tale recounts the last moments of his life, as he makes plans to be a better partner to his girlfriend and a better father to his four year old daughter. He realizes that change is not going to come easy, as he crosses paths with friends, family, and strangers, each exchange showing us that there is much more to Oscar than meets the eye. But it would be his final encounter of the day, with police officers at the Fruitvale BART station that would shake the Bay Area to its very core, and cause the entire nation to be witnesses to the story of Oscar Grant.”
“I was completely amazed by this incredible film. This earth-shattering story is one that needs to be told, and we are honored to be able to share Oscar’s story with audiences everywhere,” said TWC Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein, “I was totally blown away by the cast, and we couldn’t be more excited to be working with such a great group of filmmakers.”
Octavia Spencer, Melonie Diaz, Kevin Durand, Chad Michael Murray and Sahna O’Reilly co-star.
Below, a clip from “Fruitvale,” an interview with filmmaker Ryan Coogler and video of Oscar Grant’s real shooting at the Fruitvale BART station.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Rookie Cop Beats Handcuffed Woman & it's Caught on Camera! (WATCH)
- Prince Death Probe: Authorities Looking for 'Friendly' Docs who Prescribed Pills
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here