*The Weinstein Company has acquired distribution rights for the Forest Whitaker-produced “Fruitvale,” which follows the true story of 22-year-old Bay Area resident Oscar Grant who was unarmed when he was shot dead by police officers at the Fruitvale BART station.
The feature directorial debut of Ryan Coogler, who also wrote the screenplay, premiered to wide critical acclaim and overwhelmingly positive audience reactions Saturday night at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah.
Weinstein snapped up distribution rights at the festival for the U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, and South Africa; as well as worldwide international sales rights.
In “Fruitvale,” Grant is played by Michael B. Jordan (“Friday Night Lights”). Per a release from The Weinstein Co.: “This tragic tale recounts the last moments of his life, as he makes plans to be a better partner to his girlfriend and a better father to his four year old daughter. He realizes that change is not going to come easy, as he crosses paths with friends, family, and strangers, each exchange showing us that there is much more to Oscar than meets the eye. But it would be his final encounter of the day, with police officers at the Fruitvale BART station that would shake the Bay Area to its very core, and cause the entire nation to be witnesses to the story of Oscar Grant.”
“I was completely amazed by this incredible film. This earth-shattering story is one that needs to be told, and we are honored to be able to share Oscar’s story with audiences everywhere,” said TWC Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein, “I was totally blown away by the cast, and we couldn’t be more excited to be working with such a great group of filmmakers.”
Octavia Spencer, Melonie Diaz, Kevin Durand, Chad Michael Murray and Sahna O’Reilly co-star.
Below, a clip from “Fruitvale,” an interview with filmmaker Ryan Coogler and video of Oscar Grant’s real shooting at the Fruitvale BART station.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toronto Raptors Milk ‘Hotline Bling’ During Drake Night (Video)
- Corey Morgan Charged in Brutal Killing of 9-Year-Old Tyshawn Lee
- Black Friday Fights 2015 - The Best Of...So Far (Watch)
- Traci Braxton on 'The Real' to Deny Beef with Tamar (WATCH)
- Romeo Miller Responds to Mother Suing Him with Emotional Letter
- Miss Robbie Talks Vegan Soul Food, Family Legacy and Being the Best [EUR Exclusive]
- Why?! Well Known Black Ministers Set to Meet With Trump
- PETA Offers $5K for Info On Puppies Found in Sealed Aquarium in the Woods
- Patti LaBelle Has More for Walmart; Steph Curry Buys a Mansion
- Laquan McDonald Killing Prompts Protesters to Target Black Friday Shopping Areas
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here