*The Weinstein Company has acquired distribution rights for the Forest Whitaker-produced “Fruitvale,” which follows the true story of 22-year-old Bay Area resident Oscar Grant who was unarmed when he was shot dead by police officers at the Fruitvale BART station.
The feature directorial debut of Ryan Coogler, who also wrote the screenplay, premiered to wide critical acclaim and overwhelmingly positive audience reactions Saturday night at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah.
Weinstein snapped up distribution rights at the festival for the U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, and South Africa; as well as worldwide international sales rights.
In “Fruitvale,” Grant is played by Michael B. Jordan (“Friday Night Lights”). Per a release from The Weinstein Co.: “This tragic tale recounts the last moments of his life, as he makes plans to be a better partner to his girlfriend and a better father to his four year old daughter. He realizes that change is not going to come easy, as he crosses paths with friends, family, and strangers, each exchange showing us that there is much more to Oscar than meets the eye. But it would be his final encounter of the day, with police officers at the Fruitvale BART station that would shake the Bay Area to its very core, and cause the entire nation to be witnesses to the story of Oscar Grant.”
“I was completely amazed by this incredible film. This earth-shattering story is one that needs to be told, and we are honored to be able to share Oscar’s story with audiences everywhere,” said TWC Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein, “I was totally blown away by the cast, and we couldn’t be more excited to be working with such a great group of filmmakers.”
Octavia Spencer, Melonie Diaz, Kevin Durand, Chad Michael Murray and Sahna O’Reilly co-star.
Below, a clip from “Fruitvale,” an interview with filmmaker Ryan Coogler and video of Oscar Grant’s real shooting at the Fruitvale BART station.
- DC’s NFL Team: RG3 Demoted; DeSean Jackson Pisses Off Women
- Hulk Hogan Says He Was Suicidal Over N-Word Scandal: ‘I'm Not A Racist’ (Watch)
- Producers of Katrina Relief Telethon Reflect on 'Kanye Moment' for 10th Anniversary
- Allergic to Clothes: Indian Farmer Has Been Naked for 40 Years!
- Pres. Obama to Appear on NBC’s ‘Running Wild With Bear Grylls’…For Real
- John Legend Taking His Talents to ‘The SpongeBob Musical’
- ‘Back to This B**ch’: Why Nicki Minaj Checked Miley Cyrus on Live TV
- Black Twitter Drags Rebel Wilson Over VMA ‘Stripper Police’ Bit
- Nile Rodgers Gets BMI Icon Award - EUR was on the Scene (WATCH)
- New Comic 'Raising Dion': Single, Black Mother with Superhuman Son
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here