The Lifetime Network’s “Betty and Coretta” is the latest example of that.
Ilyasah Shabazz, the daughter of Betty Shabazz spoke up about the inaccuracies the film contains. Rumor has it, the filmmakers didn’t even consult the children about a damn thing.
“My mother was not a weak, timid, insecure woman as portrayed,” Shabazz told the Washington Post. “She was regal, compassionate, strong, loving, beautiful, resilient and highly educated. That is why the Delta Sigma Theta sororities named academies all across this country after her, so others could be inspired how to turn triumph into tragedy. “If only Lifetime had consulted us, the sisters, maybe this would be more than fiction. I am not pointing my finger solely at them, but it must be our responsibility to ensure history is properly documented.”
And as far as Coretta Scott King, the main falsity was the that she accepted that her husband was unfaithful based on tapes sent by the FBI.
“Betty & Coretta” – set to re-air this Monday, January 11 at 10pm E/P – is based on the relationship between Betty Shabazz and Coretta Scott King after their husbands were murdered.
Watch a clip from “Betty & Coretta”:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Mike Epps Shows it's Never Too Late: Graduates High School at 45
- Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton Declares May 23rd ‘Beyonce Day’, Then Lightning Strikes
- Serena Williams Pulls Off Series of Mind-Blowing Tennis Trick Shots (Watch)
- Researchers: NFL and 'Police Academy' Star Bubba Smith Had CTE When He Died
- Paris Jackson Inks Dad’s ‘Dangerous’ Album Cover on her Arm
- NBA Taps ‘Champion’ From The Roots as 2016 Finals Theme Song (Listen)
- Wow! 67-Year-Old Former Harlem Drug Dealer Graduates from Columbia (Watch)!
- Carmen Electra on Prince’s Death: ‘I Just Hope People Understand What Pain Is’ (Watch)
- VH1’s ‘Hip Hop Honors’ Returning to Salute the Ladies
- ‘The Real’s’ Adrienne Bailon Calls Tamar Braxton ‘My Sister Forever’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here