*The African American Film Critics Association (AAFCA), honored several of the best in film during its annual awards ceremony this past Friday night in Hollywood, CA.
Held at the elegant Taglyan Complex, the AAFCA Awards drew an impressive guest list of veteran performers such as Danny Glover, Lynn Whitfield and Richard Roundtree and emerging stars like Jordin Sparks, Omari Hardwick, David Oyelowo and Nate Parker, who joined a packed house of key film executives, talent managers, agents, producers and local political leaders for the show.
The big winner of the night was the 2012 indie hit “Middle of Nowhere,” which earned four of the coveted awards, which are determined by the members of AAFCA, whose members rank amongst the leading film critics in America. Actor Nate Parker was honored for his performance in “Arbitrage”; Ben Affleck as director of “Argo”; documentarian Eugene Jarecki for “The House I Live In,” and Kathryn Bigelow for “Zero Dark Thirty.”
“The AAFCA Awards has grown into a key event on Hollywood’s Awards Calendar,” says actress Sheryl Lee Ralph, who has attended the ceremony since its inception in 2009. “The event was fabulous!,” she adds. “I’m all ready to get my invite for next year.”
The African American Film Critics Association (AAFCA) is the premiere organization of African American film media professionals. Founded in 2003, AAFCA’s members represent a geographically diverse cross-section of media covering the cinematic arts. The organization honors excellence in cinema by creating awareness for films with universal appeal to black communities, while emphasizing film about the black experience and those produced written, directed and starring performers of African descent. The association actively reviews the quality and standard of black talent, content and media coverage. AAFCA also supports the development of future black film critics and filmmakers.
African American Film Critics Association / AAFCA is based in Los Angeles.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 2 Chainz’s #IsThisYoThot? Lawsuit Thrown Out by Judge
- Daniel ‘Boobie’ Gibson Reacts to Keyshia Cole’s Engagement Tweet (Pic)
- Photo of Dog With Mouth Taped Shut on Facebook, Leads to Arrest of NC Woman
- Donovan McNabb Begins 18-Day Jail Sentence in Arizona
- If You Missed it, Here's the Soul Train Awards Babyface Tribute (WATCH)
- 50 Cent Still Hasn’t Paid $7M Judgment to Rick Ross’ Baby Mother
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Fires Police Supt. Garry McCarthy
- Taraji P. Henson, Janelle Monae, Laila Ali Join Alicia Keys Charity as Ambassadors
- Lark Voorhies Reveals Instagram Account was Hacked
- Rocker Malina Moye Talks to EURweb About Grammy Considerations
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here