*It’s important that comedians who specialize in topical humor have a diverse stable of news sources from which to draw material.
The host of FX’s late night series “Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell,” executive produced by Chris Rock and airing Thursdays at 11, sticks mostly to websites, social media and cable news for topics to mock on his show.
“If you were to come to my office, like MSNBC would be on, but then I would flip to FOX. But then I would be looking on Twitter, and people would be tweeting articles at me,” said Bell. “And sometimes, on Facebook, people will tag me on things. And so it’s really just keeping your eyes open as much as possible to the world around you and not — not ever going to one source, you know.
Bell said he’s also a big fan of Jezebel.com, Colorlines.com and ‘Democracy Now!’
Rock, on the other hand, likes to hold the news in his hands.
“I try to read actual papers because I’m old school,” he says. “For some reason, I think it seeps in your head.”
However, he admits: “You’ve got to get your kind of bullsh*t stuff in, too. You’ve got to get your Paris Hilton, your Media TakeOut, your WorldstarHipHop, you know, along with your New York Times.”
Bell’s comedy often delves into issues about race. But he’s not worried that the topic will keep white viewers from tuning in. Listen below.
- Neighbors Complain Kardashians Wasting Water During Drought
- Will Packer Marries Longtime Love in Surprise Atlanta Wedding
- Phoenix Mother Allegedly Drowns Twin Boys Because 'No One Loved Them'
- How ABC Wooed Tyra Banks Back Into Daytime with 'FABLife'
- Amber Rose, Blac Chyna Twerk in Uber En Route to VMAs (Watch)
- Trick Daddy Files for Bankruptcy Amid Child Support Bills
- MTV Wants Kanye West to Host 2016 Video Music Awards (Report)
- Iowa Poll: Ben Carson Suddenly In a Tie With Donald Trump
- DC’s NFL Team: RG3 Demoted; DeSean Jackson Pisses Off Women
- Hulk Hogan Says He Was Suicidal Over N-Word Scandal: ‘I'm Not A Racist’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here