*It’s important that comedians who specialize in topical humor have a diverse stable of news sources from which to draw material.
The host of FX’s late night series “Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell,” executive produced by Chris Rock and airing Thursdays at 11, sticks mostly to websites, social media and cable news for topics to mock on his show.
“If you were to come to my office, like MSNBC would be on, but then I would flip to FOX. But then I would be looking on Twitter, and people would be tweeting articles at me,” said Bell. “And sometimes, on Facebook, people will tag me on things. And so it’s really just keeping your eyes open as much as possible to the world around you and not — not ever going to one source, you know.
Bell said he’s also a big fan of Jezebel.com, Colorlines.com and ‘Democracy Now!’
Rock, on the other hand, likes to hold the news in his hands.
“I try to read actual papers because I’m old school,” he says. “For some reason, I think it seeps in your head.”
However, he admits: “You’ve got to get your kind of bullsh*t stuff in, too. You’ve got to get your Paris Hilton, your Media TakeOut, your WorldstarHipHop, you know, along with your New York Times.”
Bell’s comedy often delves into issues about race. But he’s not worried that the topic will keep white viewers from tuning in. Listen below.
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Danger Sign in Bail for Alleged Cincinnati Police Shooter Ray Tensing
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Take a Special Look Inside the Making of 'Straight Outta Compton' (WATCH)
- Report: Leola Brown Thrown Out of Bobbi Kristina Funeral Services
- Lil Kim Claims Mr. Papers Was Physically Abusive
- Jill Scott Talks New Album 'Woman', Motherhood and Longevity
- Khloe Kardashian, Lamar Odom Officially End Their Marriage
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here