*TNT’s new medical drama “Monday Mornings” got an interesting bit of publicity last month when its co-star Ving Rhames told a room full of TV critics he was glad to have a TV gig “on a level a bit above some of the Tyler Perry shows.”
Rhames owes half of his gratitude to David E. Kelley, (“Chicago Hope,” “Harry’s Law,” “Ally McBeal”), the show’s executive producer and writer of tonight’s pilot, premiering at 10 p.m., and the other half to practicing neurosurgeon and CNN chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who wrote the book that inspired the series.
Both the show and the book follow the lives of five surgeons in a Portland hospital who are practically ripped new ones each week by the chief of surgery (Alfred Molina) in weekly morbidity and mortality (M&M) meetings, when doctors gather with their peers for a confidential review of errors in patient care.
Rhames, who plays trauma surgeon Dr. Jorge Villanueva, wouldn’t even have a role to compare to Tyler Perry’s fare had Kelley acted on his original hesitation.
“At first I had a reservation of the project itself because I had done a medical show before. I met with Sanjay. He told me about the book. It sounded great, but the terrain sounded a little familiar with ‘Chicago Hope.,’ he told us. “Then I read the book and saw that it was completely different. The characters were different. The stories were different, and the staple of this book was these M&M meetings. It felt like fertile storytelling ground, and I probably was drawn to it because it was different.”
Below, Dr. Gupta explains how these M&M meetings work.
Watch a five-minute preview of the “Monday Mornings” premiere below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Target Wins Lawsuit Filed by Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute
- 'The Music of ‘Underground': Behind-the-Scenes with John Legend on Slave Thriller
- Lamar Odom On Way to Full Recovery; Almost Living on His Own
- Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote. Here's why ...
- #BlackLivesMatter Activist Commits Suicide on Ohio Statehouse Steps
- Jubilee Project Video Discusses a ‘World Without Black People’
- How I Helped 50,000 Blacks Think it Out, Not Shoot it Out
- THE (02-10-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Lalah Hathaway & Kindred the Family Soul Headline ATL SLMF
- Timbaland Reschedules Detroit Charity Gig Following Champagne Tantrum
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here