*This summer, Daniel Sunjata, 41, will return to series television in USA Network’s “Graceland,” a Southern Cali-set drama about a crew of undercover DEA, FBI and Customs agents who work crimes while forced to live together in a seized beachfront mansion.
The house – nicknamed Graceland by the drug lords who previously owned it – is unofficially run by Sunjata’s alpha male character Paul Briggs, an FBI narc whose laid back attitude flies in the face of his kick-ass skills in the field. Other agents in the crib are played by Vanessa Ferlito (DEA), Brandon Jay McClaren (Customs) Manny Montana (FBI), Scotti Thompson (DEA) and Aaron Tveit, an FBI rookie who moves into the house in the first episode.
“Because we’re people who deal with lying for a living outside the walls of the house, Graceland is also a sanctuary – and that’s the second meaning of the title of the house because it’s the only place where we can truly be ourselves. Or one would think,” he told EURweb.
Sunjata – of Irish, German, and African-American descent – says Paul Briggs was not written specifically for “a guy who looks like me.” For that matter, his biggest role to date was as a Latino fireman in FX’s “Rescue Me.”
“As an ambiguously non-white actor, I’ve been able to play light-skinned African American guys, Latinos, and I don’t think that I’ve ever had to play some kind of ethnic stereotype or something that was typed specifically for a person of color,” he said.
Below, Sunjata (born Daniel Sunjata Condon) says his audition with Tveit convinced “Graceland’s” casting director that Paul Briggs didn’t have to be white, as written.
Courtney B. Vance also stars in the series as Quantico Section Chief special agent Sam Campbell. A premiere date has yet to be announced for “Graceland,” but it’s set for a “summer” debut. Watch the trailer below.
- Robertson Treatment Syndicated Column (RTSC): Black Lives Matter Interview with Lucy McBath
- Congresswoman Waters Applauds U.S.-Cuba Agreement to Open Embassies
- A Camping Checklist for the Prepared Parent
- Surprise! Prince Drops New Sexy Song: 'HardRockLover' (LISTEN)
- The Drought and Fireworks!
- Jordan Flaherty Explores Racial and Economic Justice Issues in New Documentary Series
- THE (07-02-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- See the Highly Anticipated WGN Thriller 'Underground' at the 2015 Essence Festival with Jurnee Smollett and Show's Other Stars
- OWN's 'The Haves and the Have Nots' Set Ratings Records
- Why Aren't Our Black Celebrities Supporting Black Theatre ... Financially?
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here