Let’s face it – those mostly-terrible prequels and the horrible special edition changes (Han shooting first? Really?) did about as much damage to the legacy of those original films as possible. Why not try to reclaim some of the franchise’s utter awesomeness with some new entries?
They’ve probably got the right guy to do it in J.J. Abrams, who directed an excellent Star Trek reboot (and an even more awesome looking sequel). Even better, they’ve teamed him up with a veteran DreamWorks screenwriter, who should be able to bring some of that studio’s magic into these new films. So, that new trilogy should be in good hands. What’s even cooler, though? How about the idea of prequel films that serve as introductions to some of the characters? It’s happening – and supposedly, Han Solo and Boba Fett are the first ones to get their own spin-offs.
This is a great idea, and we’re 100% behind it. However, we have one, giant request for those creative minds at Disney and Lucasfilm who are planning all of those spin-off films. A Han Solo prequel film? Great – of course, that’ll be amazing. A Boba Fett prequel film? Definitely. He was the coolest bad guy in the original series. Yet, before the studios go ahead and start making a prequel about that little rat thing that sat next to Jabba the Hutt, why not do one about Lando Calrissian? The world needs more black sci-fi heroes. It’s a genre that everyone should welcome and enjoy – hey, geeks and nerds come in all colors, too.
Lando was a super-cool character in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, an intergalactic gambler turned adventurer turned city administrator turned Rebel general. That’s a lot of backstory to mine for a rich prequel story, with a great young black actor (Anthony Mackie? Tristan Wilds?) taking over for Billy Dee Williams and giving his own spin on the character. So, why not, Lucasfilm and Disney? Let a new generation discover a black sci-fi icon, all over again. May the force be with you.
- THE (08-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Neo-Soul Duo Presents Annual ‘Kindred the Family Reunion’ in Philly
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here