*The newsrooms throughout America make it necessary for various African American online, print, and radio news outlets like the Electronic Urban Report (EUR), The Root, The Grio, the Chicago Defender, the Afro American, Michael Baisden’s show, Tom Joyner, and many others to exist.
The diversity that is necessary to tell the stories of the nation’s diverse community is still not present in the newsrooms of America.
But Simeon Booker helped change all of that by diversifying the Washington Post in 1952, as their first full-time African American reporter.
Last month, Booker was recognized by the National Association of Black Journalists with their highest honor by induction into the organization’s Hall of Fame. According to the NABJ, the recognition is giving to “a media executive who has demonstrated a commitment to diversifying the nation’s newsrooms and improving the coverage of people and communities of color.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (06-28-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Experience Fan Fest-The Future of Neo-Soul and Rap (PHOTOS)
- 'Have and Have Nots' Tyler Lepley Talks Growth, Humility & More
- Shaq's Family Lands Reality Show - TV PD Blasts LeBron for Cussin'
- Woman who Loathed Gun Control, Shoots Two Daughters to Death
- Michael Jackson Called Prince 'One Of The Rudest People I Have Ever Met'
- Anthony Anderson Joins Queen Latifah-Produced Travel Series ‘The Best Place to Be’
- Al Qaeda to Lone Wolves in U.S.: Only Target Whites to Avoid ‘Hate Crime’ Label
- Baltimore Rapper Lor Scoota Fatally Shot Leaving ‘Peace in the Streets’ Charity Hoops Game
- Steve Harvey Speechless when Kellie Pickler Almost Falls Trying to Buzz In on ‘Family Feud’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here