*Floyd Mayweather Jr. said Thursday he is excited about both a weekend fight he’s promoting as well as his lucrative new deal with the Showtime cable network.
Boxing’s top pound-for-pound fighter signed a blockbuster six-fight deal with Showtime on Tuesday, ending a 23-fight affiliation with HBO Sports.
The boxer, who was in Detroit for a news conference ahead of Saturday’s junior middleweight title bout between Cornelius “K9” Bundrage and Ishe Smith, likened his Showtime agreement to a matrimonial modification.
“I got a divorce,” a smiling Mayweather said of leaving HBO, his longtime television home. “I’m married again.”
“I couldn’t have asked for a better deal,” he said.
Showtime vice president and general manager of sports programming Steven Espinoza told USA Today, “It’s the biggest deal (for Showtime) since (Mike) Tyson. I put it up there on the same level of importance. Floyd is far and away the most popular, well-known and talented fighter in the sport. It is absolutely critical for the . . . network that we secured him.”
Mayweather’s first fight in his 30-month deal with the network will be May 4 on pay-per-view against Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 KOs), 29, a four-division world champion who has publicly sold himself as an opponent for Mayweather for the last few years.
The 147-pound champion, who hasn’t fought since beating Miguel Cotto on May 5, has fought just four times since December 2007.
“The fans want to see a lot more of me,” Mayweather told reporters at the MGM Grand Detroit. “I will give you excitement.”
Mayweather, who turns 36 on Sunday, was there to support Saturday’s card at the nearby Masonic Temple Theatre as well as Smith, his friend and sparring partner from Las Vegas, who is vying for his first-ever professional title.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Senator Oscar Braynon Presents 4th Choice Challenge
- THE (05-06-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ralph Fiennes and Tilda Swinton Are Tortured Souls in 'A Bigger Splash'
- Ashanti Produces New Film ('Mothers and Daughters') with Superstar Cast (Watch)
- Birdman on 'Respek' Trending & Confronting The Breakfast Club
- Report Says Percocet Found in Prince's System
- Rappers Arrested for Credit Card Fraud after Rapping about Crimes in Songs
- L. A. City Hall Salutes 'Prince' on Friday, May 6, (Open to Public FREE)
- Alicia Keys Drops New Single - Ellen's $10,000 Gift to Dance Crew (WATCH)
- Prince’s ‘Kiss’ Performed Randomly on Subway Just Days Before He Died (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here