*A jury should decide whether the promoter of Michael Jackson’s final concerts negligently hired and supervised the physician convicted of causing the singer’s death, a judge tentatively ruled Monday.
If the ruling stands, it will allow the case by Jackson’s mother, Katherine, to go forward and present the theory that concert giant AEG Live controlled the physician who gave the superstar a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol.
Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos’ tentative ruling however eliminates some of Katherine Jackson’s claims and an attorney for AEG predicted the company would win at trial.
It is unclear when the ruling will be finalized, or whether the judge will change it. She heard two hours of arguments about the case on Monday but didn’t indicate whether her mind had been changed.
AEG attorney Marvin Putnam said he was pleased with the ruling and reiterated his belief that the case should have never been filed.
The case centers on whether AEG did an appropriate investigation of Conrad Murray, the cardiologist who is serving his sentence after being convicted of the involuntary manslaughter of the pop singer. The case also involves whether AEG controlled him while Jackson prepared for a series of comeback concerts.
Jackson died before Murray’s contract was signed, and AEG argues he was not an employee of the company.
Katherine Jackson sued in September 2010 and a trial has been scheduled for early April.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Steven Ivory: Maurice White’s Forever Hip Place
- Sheryl Lee Ralph: 'Where's My NAACP Image Award?' (WATCH)
- Stevie J Brags to Nick Cannon He Sexed Mariah Carey ... Twice!
- One-Year-Old Dies, After Being Shot in the Face in Compton
- Jay Z's Drug Dealer Past Thrown at Beyonce by TV Host Tomi Lahren
- Former Atlanta Vice Mayor Lisa Borders Named New WNBA President
- Does Bernie Sanders Meeting Al Sharpton Equal More Black Voter Support?
- Author Guarantees 'Boy, Get a Job...' Helps Teens Find Work
- THE (02-11-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Oh God: Johnny Depp Nails 'The Donald' in Funny or Die Video (Look!)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here