The South Carolina Supreme Court has been going back and forth with the estate and family about who gets what. A 2009 settlement was to give nearly half to a charitable trust, a quarter to his
widow, Tomi Rae Hynie, and the rest to be split among his adult children; but this was recently overturned on account of others who believe the deal was not in favor of the late singer’s requests.
From the beginning, the arrangements had been unclear and controversial. The estate’s worth alone had been a point of confusion, where it was estimated to be valued at $5 million to more than $100 million.
Along with the family’s division on how to divvy up the money and honor Brown’s will, the estate’s fate has been on hold for years. To make matters worse, debate about what to do with his body also became an issue among family members, who for more than two months left his body in a gold casket inside a cold storage until he was finally buried in Beech Island, S.C., at the home of one of his daughters.
Though still somewhat confusing, it seems a ruling has been made to adhere more closely the Brown’s original wishes. A staunch advocate for education, it appears the bulk of his fortune will go to educating needy children.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Sanaa Lathan Lands 'Racially-Charged' Drama, Hannibal Buress Debuts Unaired Pilot
- GOP Gov Freezes Funds for Chicago’s 'Operation CeaseFire' As Homicides Rise
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- 'Blue Lives Matter' Billboard Campaign Aims to Honor Cops ... And Distract From 'That Other One'
- Snoop Dogg, Birdman, Jermaine Dupri, Damon Dash to Star in BET Reality Series
- Three 6 Mafia Rapper Koopsta Knicca Dies of Stroke at 40
- Freshman, 18, Dies in Shooting at Texas Southern University; Obama Protested in Ore.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Malcolm Jamal Warner: ‘Cosby Show’ Legacy ‘Tarnished’ by Bill Cosby (Watch)
- Raven Symone Says She Wouldn't Hire Someone With Ethnic Sounding Name; #BlackTwitter Pounces
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here