Seven more ‘slave’ themed films are scheduled to premiere this year. One IdieWire.com writer speculates Hollywood is on a celebratory kick, commemorating the 150-year anniversary of the Civil War.
Among the seven films to expect this year are “Twelve years A Slave” starring Chiwetel Ejiofo, Michael Fassbender, Ruth Negga and several others; Chimamanda Ngozi Zdichie’s “Half of a Yellow Sun,” also starring Chiwetel; Cuba Gooding Jr. is set to take the lead in “Something Whispered,” a film about a man who attempts to help his family escape from a tobacco plantation; Jeremiah Trotter will play the role of Big Ben Jones alongside Keith David, as Frederick Douglass in “The North Star”; “Belle,” a story of a mixed-race girl in the 1700s, starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Miranda Richardson, Tom Wilkinson, and Sarah Gadon; “The Keeping Room” with Nicole Beharie, Olivia Wilde, and Hailee Steinfeld; and slave uprising flick, “Tula” with Danny Glover.
There’s a lot in store for these period films this year.
Click here for a detailed synopsis of each.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Gabby Douglas Hits The Gym For More Than 30 Hours Each Week
- Three White Athletes Charged with Alleged Rape of Black, Disabled Teammate
- Ahmad Rashad Gets Married For Fifth Time
- Mary J. Blige Joins Jason Mitchell in Dee Rees Film ‘Mudbound’
- 2 Cops in Freddie Gray Case File Defamation Suit Against Marilyn Mosby
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here