Seven more ‘slave’ themed films are scheduled to premiere this year. One IdieWire.com writer speculates Hollywood is on a celebratory kick, commemorating the 150-year anniversary of the Civil War.
Among the seven films to expect this year are “Twelve years A Slave” starring Chiwetel Ejiofo, Michael Fassbender, Ruth Negga and several others; Chimamanda Ngozi Zdichie’s “Half of a Yellow Sun,” also starring Chiwetel; Cuba Gooding Jr. is set to take the lead in “Something Whispered,” a film about a man who attempts to help his family escape from a tobacco plantation; Jeremiah Trotter will play the role of Big Ben Jones alongside Keith David, as Frederick Douglass in “The North Star”; “Belle,” a story of a mixed-race girl in the 1700s, starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Miranda Richardson, Tom Wilkinson, and Sarah Gadon; “The Keeping Room” with Nicole Beharie, Olivia Wilde, and Hailee Steinfeld; and slave uprising flick, “Tula” with Danny Glover.
There’s a lot in store for these period films this year.
Click here for a detailed synopsis of each.
- Kem: 25 Years of Sobriety, Opens Up on Overcoming Drug Addiction
- Bree Newsome Reveals Reason Behind Removing the Confederate Flag
- LA Mayor Garcetti Finally Agrees to Meet with Black Lives Matter Activists (Dramatic Video)
- Compton Mayor Invites Submissions for 'Compton Champions' Awards
- THE (07-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Photos: Usher and Miguel Host 5th Post BET Awards Party [Look: Photo Gallery]
- Fantasia Reunites With Husband, Faces Tax Lien
- Doctors Warn of Health Risks from Wearing Skinny Jeans
- Eva Longoria to Donald Trump: ‘You Must Expect a Backlash’ (Watch)
- Warrant Issued for Florida State QB De’Andre Johnson
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here