Seven more ‘slave’ themed films are scheduled to premiere this year. One IdieWire.com writer speculates Hollywood is on a celebratory kick, commemorating the 150-year anniversary of the Civil War.
Among the seven films to expect this year are “Twelve years A Slave” starring Chiwetel Ejiofo, Michael Fassbender, Ruth Negga and several others; Chimamanda Ngozi Zdichie’s “Half of a Yellow Sun,” also starring Chiwetel; Cuba Gooding Jr. is set to take the lead in “Something Whispered,” a film about a man who attempts to help his family escape from a tobacco plantation; Jeremiah Trotter will play the role of Big Ben Jones alongside Keith David, as Frederick Douglass in “The North Star”; “Belle,” a story of a mixed-race girl in the 1700s, starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Miranda Richardson, Tom Wilkinson, and Sarah Gadon; “The Keeping Room” with Nicole Beharie, Olivia Wilde, and Hailee Steinfeld; and slave uprising flick, “Tula” with Danny Glover.
There’s a lot in store for these period films this year.
Click here for a detailed synopsis of each.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- R&B Soul Jazz Singer Kenya Covers 'Little Drummer Boy' (Listen)
- T-Pain to Larry King on Why He's 'Done with Making Hits!’
- Erykah Badu on Azealia Banks Beef: 'We Can Spiral Out of Control With Style'
- ‘Creed’ Dir. Ryan Coogler Pays Tribute to His Father in 'Rocky' Spin-Off
- Black Fox News Co-Host Asked if She 'Makes Kool-Aid' (WATCH)
- President Obama's Statement Regarding Laquan McDonald Murder
- Dr. Rapp: Enjoy Patti's Pie, Avoid Fatti's Pounds
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' & Calls Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Old Email from Farrell, PA's New Police Chief Includes the Word 'N*gger' and Prompts Outrage ... and Support from the Town's Black Mayor
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here