Seven more ‘slave’ themed films are scheduled to premiere this year. One IdieWire.com writer speculates Hollywood is on a celebratory kick, commemorating the 150-year anniversary of the Civil War.
Among the seven films to expect this year are “Twelve years A Slave” starring Chiwetel Ejiofo, Michael Fassbender, Ruth Negga and several others; Chimamanda Ngozi Zdichie’s “Half of a Yellow Sun,” also starring Chiwetel; Cuba Gooding Jr. is set to take the lead in “Something Whispered,” a film about a man who attempts to help his family escape from a tobacco plantation; Jeremiah Trotter will play the role of Big Ben Jones alongside Keith David, as Frederick Douglass in “The North Star”; “Belle,” a story of a mixed-race girl in the 1700s, starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Miranda Richardson, Tom Wilkinson, and Sarah Gadon; “The Keeping Room” with Nicole Beharie, Olivia Wilde, and Hailee Steinfeld; and slave uprising flick, “Tula” with Danny Glover.
There’s a lot in store for these period films this year.
Click here for a detailed synopsis of each.
- Detroit's ZanYe Digs Deep for Ballroom with Reboot of Four Tops Classic
- Fox Gives ‘Empire’ Fans Early Prep for Season 2 with 22-Minute Featurette (WATCH)
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Marriage Inspires New Sitcom
- Tyler, the Creator Banned from UK Over 'Terrorist' Lyrics
- Shannon J. Miles Arrested As Suspect in Killing of Texas Deputy
- Nicole Murphy Addresses Nick Cannon Dating Rumors
- Cedric the Entertainer Hosts 3rd Annual Celebrity Golf Classic [Photos]
- Lorenzo Brown, Husband of Sister-2-Sister Publisher Jamie Brown, Dies of Cancer
- (The Black Hat) Serena Williams is a Winner, Not a Cover Girl
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here