Seven more ‘slave’ themed films are scheduled to premiere this year. One IdieWire.com writer speculates Hollywood is on a celebratory kick, commemorating the 150-year anniversary of the Civil War.
Among the seven films to expect this year are “Twelve years A Slave” starring Chiwetel Ejiofo, Michael Fassbender, Ruth Negga and several others; Chimamanda Ngozi Zdichie’s “Half of a Yellow Sun,” also starring Chiwetel; Cuba Gooding Jr. is set to take the lead in “Something Whispered,” a film about a man who attempts to help his family escape from a tobacco plantation; Jeremiah Trotter will play the role of Big Ben Jones alongside Keith David, as Frederick Douglass in “The North Star”; “Belle,” a story of a mixed-race girl in the 1700s, starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Miranda Richardson, Tom Wilkinson, and Sarah Gadon; “The Keeping Room” with Nicole Beharie, Olivia Wilde, and Hailee Steinfeld; and slave uprising flick, “Tula” with Danny Glover.
There’s a lot in store for these period films this year.
Click here for a detailed synopsis of each.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Tamron Hall Reveals Her Fear Of Love
- Will Smith Admits That ‘Wild Wild West’ Was a Bad Career Move
- Las Vegas Prince Tribute Show A Hit Since Singer's Passing
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Texas Woman Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery with British Accent (WATCH)
- Kanye West Unveils Mind Blowing, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video (WATCH)
- Look! New Poster for 'When the Bough Breaks' Starring Morris Chestnut & Regina Hall
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here