*(Via USA Today) – President Obama outlined plans Tuesday to revive American prosperity by rebuilding “a thriving middle class,” calling it the “true engine of America’s economic growth” during his annual State of the Union Address.
Growing the economy and creating good middle-class jobs “must be the North Star that guides our efforts,” Obama told a joint session of Congress and a national television audience.
While devoting most of his speech to jobs and the economy, Obama also announced plans to pull 34,000 U.S. troops from Afghanistan over the next year, reducing the American presence by about half as part of a planned overall withdrawal. “By the end of next year,” Obama said, “our war in Afghanistan will be over.”
The president also condemned the nuclear ambitions of North Korea and Iran, and pledged to work with Russia to continue reducing American and Russian nuclear stockpiles.
In perhaps the most dramatic moment of the hour-long speech, Obama called on Congress to vote on gun-control proposals in order to honor “Americans whose lives have been torn apart” by mass violence. “They deserve a vote,” Obama said.
In a litany of economic proposals, Obama called for an increase in the minimum wage — from $7.25 to $9 per hour — as well as new plans to speed up infrastructure projects, promote manufacturing, improve science and math education and develop alternative sources of energy.
get the rest of this story at USA Today.
Watch President Obama’s (2013) State of the Union address:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Tamron Hall Reveals Her Fear Of Love
- Will Smith Admits That ‘Wild Wild West’ Was a Bad Career Move
- Las Vegas Prince Tribute Show A Hit Since Singer's Passing
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Texas Woman Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery with British Accent (WATCH)
- Kanye West Unveils Mind Blowing, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video (WATCH)
- Look! New Poster for 'When the Bough Breaks' Starring Morris Chestnut & Regina Hall
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here