A lot of folks, including civil rights activists Najee Ali (Project Islamic Hope) and Rev. KW Tulloss (NAN), are rightfully upset with the Onion.com, a so-called satire site for calling 9-year-old actress Quvenzhané Wallis the C-word.
“Everyone else seems afraid to say it, but that Quvenzhané Wallis is kind of a cunt, right? #Oscars2013” — The Onion (@TheOnion) February 25, 2013.
The tweet was sent out around 8:42pm PST Sunday evening and quickly made the rounds on the social media website. And wouldn’t you know it, an hour later, the offending message was deleted from The Onion’s feed.
As it should be, the outcry has been immediate for the totally inappropriate and cheap dig.
Actor Wendell Pierce (“Treme” and “The Wire”) called out The Onion via Twitter: “Identify the writer. Let him defend that abhorrent verbal attack of a child. You call it humor I call it horrendous.”
Meanwhile civil rights activists are calling For an immediate public apology from Will Tracy editor of the Onion for allowing the tweet from their twitter account.
“It’s shameless for Will Tracy to allow these types of vile tweets about children on the Onion’s site. Our coalition of African-Americans leaders are calling for Tracy to publicly apologize for those vile comments or there will be a boycott of their sponsors,” stated Najee Ali director of Project Islamic Hope.
African American Civil Rights
National Action Network
Paulette Gipson NAACP of Compton
Donald Bakeer Project Islamic Hope
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here