The hit show, which spun off of a pair of BET Awards comedy skits involving celebrity Hollywood husbands who are married to famous entertainers, is more a natural evolution of an idea from its co-creator Chris Spencer and fellow RHOH mastermind Kevin Hart.
According to Spencer, the series came to mind when he was a head writer of the 2011 BET Awards after the network requested “something funny and different aside from just a regular vignette or a live vignette.” From there, a conversation ensued between Spencer and Hart about absurdity of the “Housewives” shows.
“How absurd would it be if it was husbands? Boom. Right then, we took out the laptop and we started writing,” Spencer told EUR’s Lee Bailey. ““It felt great. It felt natural. Right then and there I grabbed a computer and Kevin and I started working on it. The first actual cast in the sketch was Nelly, Anthony Anderson, Bobby Brown, Nick Cannon, and Jermaine Dupri. It did so well we did it again when Sam Jackson hosted the BET Awards with Faizon[Love], Anthony Anderson Fabolous and Kevin. Then BET said ‘Yo. This needs to be a series.’”
After receiving the network’s green light, the first 10 episodes of RHOH were shot. In addition to Hart, the show’s cast includes Robin Thicke, Duane Martin, Boris Kodjoe, Nick Cannon and J.B. Smoove. Nelly also appears on “Real Husbands” as well as Spencer, who admitted to making “some cameos” as “Chris Spencer, the executive producer.”
Anyone doubting whether RHOH can survive beyond its few of sketch comedy fame can look no further than the show’s ratings. The premiere episode of RHOH attracted 4.1 million viewers, making the series a solid success as it holds a position of being a top-three sitcom debut in cable TV history among adults age 18-34.
While it falls into the reality TV category, Spencer is quick to point out that “Real Husbands” is “scripted, but it’s the fakest reality show you’ve ever seen.”
“We just basically put a magnifying glass on these guys’ already crazy lives,” he said while pointing out that the show embellishes real stories and the entertainers featured, aside from Hart, are in fact involved with well-known significant others. “Duane Martin is married to a famous woman, Tisha Campbell. Boris Kodjoe has Nicole Ari Parker Kodjoe. Robin Thicke is with Paula Patton. Kevin is the only that’s not married. J.B. Smoove, he’s married to a singer you might not know yet, but she is very talented. Nelly, of course, has a long relationship with Ashanti. So these are real husbands of Hollywood.”
Watch “Real Husbands of Hollywood” Tuesday nights at 10pm / 9pm Central on BET.
Check oput this “RHOH” segment – JB Smoove: Fight Trainer:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 3 Things to Do NOW to Transform Your Life (WATCH)
- The Kobie Chronicles: 'Red, White & Baltimore' Premiere As Freddie Gray Trials Commence
- Lamar Odom's Lucky Break: Prosecution for Cocaine Possession Unlikely
- Why?! Well Known Black Ministers Set to Meet With Trump
- Movie Watch: Big Weekend for Creed, The Good Dinosaur, Victor Frankenstein
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Walt Disney’s 'The Good Dinosaur' is a Story of a Bond of Two Unlikely Friends
- Naughty by Nature Hitting the Road to Celebrate 25th Anniversary
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Jasmyne Cannick: Before Cops Encourage the Public to Snitch Maybe They Should Lead By Example (VIDEO)
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here