Starring Salli Richardson-Whitfield, the television movie focuses on a former stripper, played by Salli, who find herself in an unexpected situation when her sick preaching father calls her to take his place at the church.
Of course being ‘heir to the throne,’ her presence and leadership is met with some controversy.
Making matters even more complicated are Jesse’s conflict with her bitter sister, and her awkward attempts to reconcile with her now teenage son, who justly feels he has been abandoned most of his life.
In an interview with Indiewire.com, Dunbar, the film’s debuting director, admitted the new role was a challenge, but he also said don’t expect a bunch of bafoonery.
“Well you have to look at this for a second. Where is Rockmond Dunbar coming from? He’s coming from one of the longest running black TV dramas in history, ‘Soul Food.’ The quality of ‘Soul Food’ was incredible with a huge, huge fan base,” he said. “So how could I essentially direct and come out with something less than that? That would be an embarrassment. And also I worked really really hard to give the film the quality that I think we deserve. Even in our lower budgeted independent films the quality should be there. So if you’re looking at what I put together for, way less than $2 million dollars, just think if I had $2.5 million, $5 million, $10 million. Just think what the quality would be in any genre, because I’m very very particular at what I do.”
Check out the full story at Indie Wire’s Shadow and Act.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EUR EXCLUSIVE: 'The Legend of Tarzan' Press Junket
- THE (06-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- The Legends of Bad A** Women: 'Tarzan' Ain't the Only One with a Jane
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Features 'Sledgehammer' from Rihanna (WATCH)
- Jennifer Hudson Signs W/ Epic Records
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- No Designers Wanted to Dress Leslie Jones for 'Ghostbusters' Red Carpet
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here