*Quentin Tarantino surely stirred up some conversation with the production of his spaghetti Western slave flick, “Django Unchained,” and even threw out some criticism about Alex Haley’s classic TV mini series, “Roots,” saying that much of the story wasn’t true.
So, some of the original “Roots” cast members showed up on the Wendy Williams show to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the mini series and discuss the “Django” hub bub.
“Quentin Tarantino is a very clever man, very brilliant, brilliant movie,” Louis Gossett, Jr. began diplomatically. ” [But] The N word… I’m old enough to remember the knee-jerk reactions when I hear the word and there were too many of them for me. He wanted to break out all of the myths and stuff but he was going for publicity. Now if we want to talk about the West, let’s talk about Bass Reeves…Deadwood Dick and Nat Turner. Now put those dolls out there for our children to see next to Django and maybe that will level the playing field.”
Levar Burton kept his comments pretty neutral but Leslie Uggams took it to the house, basically telling Tarantino to shut his mouth about “Roots.”
“We’re telling our Black story, he ain’t Black!”
Check it out for yourself:
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Once Homeless and Alone in NYC, Man Receives Yale Scholarship
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here