*President Obama joined members of Congress Wednesday to unveil a new full-length statue of civil rights icon Rosa Parks in the Capitol Building’s Statuary Hall.
Parks takes her “rightful place among those who shaped this nation’s course,” Obama said at the ceremony.
The 9-foot statue shows Parks seated, commemorating the moment in December 1955 when she refused to give up her seat on a segregated bus in Montgomery, Alabama. That moment sparked the historic Montgomery bus boycott, a critical part of the civil rights movement.
“That moment tells us something about how change happens or doesn’t happen,” President Obama said at the unveiling. “The changes we make, or don’t make… Rosa Parks tells us there’s always something we can do. We all have responsibilities to ourselves and one another.”
With the victory of the bus boycott, the president said, “the entire edifice of segregation, like the ancient walls of Jericho, began to slowly come tumbling down.”
Parks, who died in 2005 at the age of 92, fought for civil rights before and after that pivotal moment on the bus, Obama noted. For about two decades, she worked for Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich.
Parks is the first black woman to be honored with a full-length statue in Statuary Hall. In a bit of historic irony, the statue was placed in a spot formerly occupied by a statue of Robert E. Lee, which several months ago was moved to another location (though House Speaker John Boehner’s office says the Lee statue wasn’t moved for the Parks statue). The president said Parks’ memory should be honored by carrying forward “the power of her principle and a courage born of conviction.”
Watch the entire ceremony below:
- Kobe and Shaq Squash Years Long Beef on Podcast (LISTEN)
- ‘Compton’ Three-Peats at No. 1; ‘War Room’ Captures Faith-Based Crowd With $11 Mil Debut
- THE (08-31-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Kanye to Run for President, Revisits Taylor Swift Hijack (WATCH)
- Snoop Dogg Reinterpreted As European Noblemen [LOOK!]
- Watch: Today You Wouldn't Recognize the Little Boy from 'Katrina' (Hint: He's Now a Grown ... Woman!)
- The Soul of the U.S. Open: Serena Williams' Quest; Tournament Preview
- Tiffany Pollard and Her Mother Set to Appear on VH1’s 'Family Therapy'
- Trevor Noah Teases ‘The Daily Show’ Takeover [WATCH]
- Caitlyn Jenner Adult Unisex Costume Timely for Halloween, But LGBT Community Not Amused
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here