Wonder, like a lot of people, it too through with Lil Wayne over his vulgar lyrics that reference Emmett Till, a black U.S. teen whose murder in 1955 for allegedly whistling at a white woman changed the national conversation on race and civil rights.
Wonder can’t believe the rappers distasteful lyrics made it out of the recording studio for the world to hear.
“You can’t equate that to Emmett Till,” Wonder said. “You just cannot do that. … I think you got to have someone around you that — even if they are the same age or older — is wiser to say, ‘Yo, that’s not happening. Don’t do that.’”
Wonder, who says he is a fan and friend of Lil Wayne, made the comments when asked what he thought of the controversial lyrics in an interview Thursday, according the AP.
As we reported, on a remix to Future’s song “Karate Chop,” Lil Wayne compared a rough sex act to the tortuous death of 14-year-old Till in Mississippi. Following a crude reference to rough sex, Lil Wayne indicates that he wanted to do as much damage as had been done to Till.
Wonder, 62, hopes Lil Wayne, 30, understands the perspective of the Till family and chooses his words wisely in the future.
“Sometimes people have to put themselves in the place of people who they are talking about,” Wonder said. “Imagine if that happened to your mother, brother, daughter or your son. How would you feel? Have some discernment before we say certain things. That goes for me or any other (song)writer.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement Via Poem: 'Dear Basketball'
- Holly Holm Asks Beyoncé ‘What’s Your Name?’ in Awkward Vegas Moment
- EUR on the Scene: 'The Wiz Live!' [WATCH]
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- A 'Broke' 50 Cent Flaunts Stacks of Cash in Fridge (WATCH)
- Here’s why the Alleged Planned Parenthood Killer Isn’t called a Domestic Terrorist
- Pilar Sanders Will Have to Pay Deion Sanders $2.2M and Go Back to Jail
- Police Erased Video of Laquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here