*You don’t see him much in the trailers, but T.I. has a plum role in the upcoming film “Identity Thief,” starring Jason Bateman as a mild-mannered businessman who sets out to find the person who stole his identity.
Melissa McCarthy plays the deceptively harmless-looking woman who ruined his credit, and T.I. plays a bounty hunter who chases after them both.
“It was a refreshing stretch to be able to do something different,” the rapper told us of his first major comedic role. “People, they assume that I’m just this straight-faced, hard-core criminal, which I am not… anymore.
After well-received dramatic turns in “ATL,” “Takers,” “American Gangster” and the Starz original series “Boss,” T.I. says he was eager to diversify his resume with a comedy.
“I like shocking people. I enjoy taking advantage of the opportunity to surprise people when they only thought I could do [drama],” he said. “Now, they’re pleasantly surprised with something different. So I welcome that opportunity and I appreciate it.”
Below, Tip tells us if his move toward acting has alienated any of his music fans.
“Identity Thief” arrives in theaters on Feb. 8. Watch the trailer below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Oh God: Johnny Depp Nails 'The Donald' in Funny or Die Video (Look!)
- Will Smith Calls Son Jayden 'Fearless' for Rockin' Women's Clothes
- Lakatriona Brunson: Florida’s First Female Head Football Coach
- Justice Dept. Sues City of Ferguson Over Pattern of Police Abuse
- Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino Return to 'American Idol' This Week
- Kardashians Call Depiction in ‘People v. OJ’ Ep 2 ‘Ridiculous’
- Drama at ‘Fashion Police’ Between NeNe and Giuliana?
- Claudia Jordan, Jennifer Williams: Shots Fired Hours Before ‘The Next 15’ Premiere
- Ciara Cheered, Russell Wilson Booed at Knicks Game
- BET Names Brie Miranda Bryant SVP of Unscripted Programming
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here