“Ten years after bursting onto the scene, Taimak was cast for Berry Gordy’s now classic ‘The Last Dragon’ as Bruce Leroy. He was quickly catapulted to stardom and a career that has spanned over twenty years. Taimak has appeared in over a dozen plays, including the highly successful ‘Roadhouse the Comedy’ at the Barrow Street Theater in New York City, playing the notable role of Dalton in this zany comedy rendition of Patrick Swayze’s 80s cult film and the national tour of the star studded cast of ‘Cheaters,’” writes Carlton Jordan in his self-named blog.
Well, Taimak is mature now and able to look back at his career through a different lens.
In an interview with Jordan, martial arts practitioner/actor chatted about establishing an identity as an thespian and separating his film character from his everyday life as an actor and lover of martial arts.
“Although the character has made a huge impact in my life, I eat popcorn with my hands, not chopsticks and I don’t walk the streets of N.Y. wearing a kung fu outfit,” he said. “I did idolize Bruce Lee growing up and martial arts is and always will be a part of me.”
He added that while he loves martial arts, he’s open to trying new things.
As far as a remake of “The Last Dragon,” there’s no sure word on whether or not another will be created. However, Rihanna was a name thrown in there.
“Trying to remake a classic is very hard. As far as Rihanna,” says Taimak, in response to a question as to whether she’d be able to carry the role originated by Vanity, “she’s very talented and I think everyone deserves a shot, but it’s all about the chemistry between the two leads.”
The interview also delves a little deeper into Taimak’s relationship with the other cast members and dealing with the death of a few peers. He also chats about his role as an African American martial artist; carrying on a legacy, and dealing with gay men.
Check out the full interview at CarltonJordan.com.
- The Pulse of Entertainment: It’s the Beginning of a new era for the 'Terminator' Franchise with 'Terminator Genisys'
- Jason Derulo Channels King of Pop in New 'Cheyenne' Video - WATCH
- Diddy Won't be Prosecuted by DA for UCLA Altercation with Coach
- Karrueche Tran Reveals Her Father is Gay
- The Game Faces Three Years in Prison for Assaulting Cop
- ‘Empire’s’ Trai Byers on the ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ of Andre Lyon
- Ratings Plummet in Return of Halle Berry’s ‘Extant’
- L.A. District Attorney (Jackie Lacey) Silent on Pressing Charges Against CHP Officer in Video Beating
- Marisa Tomei Joins 'Empire' as Recurring Character
- Prince Yanks His Music From Every Streaming Service Except Tidal
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here