*Twelve hours after satirical publication The Onion tweeted a joke about 9-year-old Oscar nominee Quvenzhané Wallis that was roundly criticized as crude and tasteless, an apology has finally arrived.
The comment, tweeted at 8:42 p.m. PT on Sunday and deleted less than an hour later, stated: “Everyone else seems afraid to say it, but that Quvenzhané Wallis is kind of a c**t, right? #Oscars2013.”
This morning, with still no apology, a staff member tweeted about a completely unrelated topic, about supermarket savings, which only riled up the twittersphere more.
This afternoon, the following apology was posted by The Onion CEO Steve Hannah on the outlet’s Facebook page:
Feb. 25, 2013
On behalf of The Onion, I offer my personal apology to Quvenzhané Wallis and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the tweet that was circulated last night during the Oscars. It was crude and offensive — not to mention inconsistent with The Onion’s commitment to parody and satire, however biting.
No person should be subjected to such a senseless, humorless comment masquerading as satire.
The tweet was taken down within an hour of publication. We have instituted new and tighter Twitter procedures to ensure that this kind of mistake does not occur again.
In addition, we are taking immediate steps to discipline those individuals responsible.
Miss Wallis, you are young and talented and deserve better. All of us at The Onion are deeply sorry.
But LA based community/civil rights activist says the apology isn’t enough.
“We want the reporter fired for unprofessional and insensitive reporting. We won’t even except his apology because he spoke what he believes in his heart as a white racist towards a black skinned child. Children are off limits,” stated Najee Ali of Project Islamic HOPE
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ahmad Rashad Gets Married For Fifth Time
- Mary J. Blige Joins Jason Mitchell in Dee Rees Film ‘Mudbound’
- 2 Cops in Freddie Gray Case File Defamation Suit Against Marilyn Mosby
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- First Look: Rihanna’s New Line of Star Trek-Inspired Dior Sunglasses
- Opinion: How Democratic Superdelegates decided the 2016 Election
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here