*Twelve hours after satirical publication The Onion tweeted a joke about 9-year-old Oscar nominee Quvenzhané Wallis that was roundly criticized as crude and tasteless, an apology has finally arrived.
The comment, tweeted at 8:42 p.m. PT on Sunday and deleted less than an hour later, stated: “Everyone else seems afraid to say it, but that Quvenzhané Wallis is kind of a c**t, right? #Oscars2013.”
This morning, with still no apology, a staff member tweeted about a completely unrelated topic, about supermarket savings, which only riled up the twittersphere more.
This afternoon, the following apology was posted by The Onion CEO Steve Hannah on the outlet’s Facebook page:
Feb. 25, 2013
On behalf of The Onion, I offer my personal apology to Quvenzhané Wallis and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the tweet that was circulated last night during the Oscars. It was crude and offensive — not to mention inconsistent with The Onion’s commitment to parody and satire, however biting.
No person should be subjected to such a senseless, humorless comment masquerading as satire.
The tweet was taken down within an hour of publication. We have instituted new and tighter Twitter procedures to ensure that this kind of mistake does not occur again.
In addition, we are taking immediate steps to discipline those individuals responsible.
Miss Wallis, you are young and talented and deserve better. All of us at The Onion are deeply sorry.
But LA based community/civil rights activist says the apology isn’t enough.
“We want the reporter fired for unprofessional and insensitive reporting. We won’t even except his apology because he spoke what he believes in his heart as a white racist towards a black skinned child. Children are off limits,” stated Najee Ali of Project Islamic HOPE
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Lupita Nyong’o to Make NY Stage Debut in Danai Gurira's ‘Eclipsed’
- Mariah Carey to Direct Hallmark Film, Sets NYC Xmas Shows, European Tour
- Sounds of Blackness Releases Incredible Anthem 'Black Lives Matter: No Justice No Peace!' (WATCH/LISTEN)
- Confederate Flags Left At Martin Luther King’s Church in Atlanta
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here