*Racism and the Los Angeles Police Department became the issue of conversation earlier Sat. Feb. 9 at a Los Angeles mayoral candidate’s forum held at Crenshaw High School.
Hosted by a coalition of African-American organizations with popular television and film personality Judge Mablean Ephriam, political commentator and EURweb columnist Jasmyne Cannick asked each of the candidate’s specifically would they join in the growing chorus of Angelino’s of all colors in calling for Chief Charlie Beck and the LAPD to investigate the allegations of misconduct, abuse, racism, and discrimination as listed in the manifesto released by Christopher Dorner.
While all of the candidates agreed that racism in the LAPD should be investigated, overall the candidate’s answers left the mainly African-American audience wanting to see more done to pressure the LAPD into examining the charges being made and bringing in an outside agency to investigate the LAPD.
Former LAPD officer Christopher Jordan Dorner, 33, is suspected in the shootings of three police officers, one fatally and is also wanted in connection with a double homicide in Irvine.
Since the forum, the LAPD has announced that it would reopen the investigation into the firing of Dorner.
Cmdr. Andrew Smith said at a Saturday afternoon news conference at LAPD’s headquarters downtown that Chief Charlie Beck is reopening the investigation “to insure the public that the LAPD is fair and transparent.
According to reports, Dorner was stripped of his badge in 2009 after a police disciplinary board found him guilty of making false statements against his training officer, Teresa Evans. In August 2007, Dorner accused Evans of kicking a mentally ill man during an arrest in San Pedro.
Read Chief Beck’s statement here.
- Tyler Perry ‘Keeping the Peace' Between Houston, Brown Families
- WATCH: 'Mega Fest of the West' takes overs Long Beach with Celebs & Gospel Artists!
- Raven-Symone Says Caitlyn Jenner’s Moving ‘Too Fast, Too Soon’
- Mary J. Blige, Queen Latifah Join NBC’s ‘The Wiz Live!’
- Josh Smith Says Making $6.9 Million will be A Hardship for Him (VIDEO)
- Pres. Obama on 2016 Election: 'I Think If I Ran, I Would Win'
- Rumor or Fact? L.A. Gangs Threaten to Kill 100 People in 100 Days
- POLITICO Magazine: U.S. Mayors Say Ferguson Could Also Happen in Their Cities
- New 'Legal Equalizer' App Aims to Counter Racial Profiling (WATCH)
- Martin Luther King III and Andrew Young to Attend Voting Right Press Conference
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here