The singer, actor, game show host says he’s happy with who he is, and his brand of blackness.
The 40-year-old artist and well-rounded entertainer told BET.com that he’s not made to fit in anyone’s box.
“Most people in life like things handed to them on a very digestible, easily deciphered platform,” he said. “But from the time I was a child, I refused to fit into a little box, because that was what was instilled in me from my grandmother who raised me. My job is to continue to keep doing work that reminds people, ‘Don’t sleep on me.’ Whether it is something like [my skit on] the ‘Chappelle Show,’ which people still talk about, or even my recent performance at the 2013 BET Honors. Every time I have a moment that makes people see me and go, Did he just do that?’ Then I’m doing a good thing. That’s a win for me.”
He’s a talented man, working with a whole lot of something. He can dance, sing, act, and make people laugh. That’s a full package right there. But still, for some reason, his style has been awkward for a lot of black people. But he takes the criticism and odd looks in stride.
“No one can be harder on black people than black people,” he said. “And I understand that, we like to claim what’s ours — we are a very loyal audience. We like to call people out when we feel they’re not being what we want them to be. I get that too. What irks me is when the person who says, ‘Oh, Wayne Brady isn’t black enough for this role,’ is the 26-year old white screenwriter. Then, when the creative people cast the ‘blackest dude for the role it perpetuates that idea. If we just said there are a million ways to be Black that would be amazing. Just think how much we could get done.”
Interesting point, Wayne.
Check out the full interview at BET.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (05-31-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Dwayne Johnson’s Meal Plan Involves Eating 10 Pounds of Food Everyday
- Janet Jackson’s Trainer Reveals How to Get Her Famous Abs
- Snoop Dogg Blasts 'Roots' Reboot; Won't be Watching
- Police Say This Interracial 'Online Date' Ended in Woman's Death
- Zoo Director on Why Gorilla Was Killed and Not Tranquilized
- Activist Najee Ali Calling for Boycott of New 'Block Wars' App by The Game
- Disgraced Cop Daniel Hotlzclaw Denies Raping Poor Black Women
- First Listen: Half Mile Home's 'Thinking of Me'
- Big Boi Meme Comparing Mothers of Today & 70s Causes Black Twitter Outrage
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here