The singer, actor, game show host says he’s happy with who he is, and his brand of blackness.
The 40-year-old artist and well-rounded entertainer told BET.com that he’s not made to fit in anyone’s box.
“Most people in life like things handed to them on a very digestible, easily deciphered platform,” he said. “But from the time I was a child, I refused to fit into a little box, because that was what was instilled in me from my grandmother who raised me. My job is to continue to keep doing work that reminds people, ‘Don’t sleep on me.’ Whether it is something like [my skit on] the ‘Chappelle Show,’ which people still talk about, or even my recent performance at the 2013 BET Honors. Every time I have a moment that makes people see me and go, Did he just do that?’ Then I’m doing a good thing. That’s a win for me.”
He’s a talented man, working with a whole lot of something. He can dance, sing, act, and make people laugh. That’s a full package right there. But still, for some reason, his style has been awkward for a lot of black people. But he takes the criticism and odd looks in stride.
“No one can be harder on black people than black people,” he said. “And I understand that, we like to claim what’s ours — we are a very loyal audience. We like to call people out when we feel they’re not being what we want them to be. I get that too. What irks me is when the person who says, ‘Oh, Wayne Brady isn’t black enough for this role,’ is the 26-year old white screenwriter. Then, when the creative people cast the ‘blackest dude for the role it perpetuates that idea. If we just said there are a million ways to be Black that would be amazing. Just think how much we could get done.”
Interesting point, Wayne.
Check out the full interview at BET.
- Lee Daniels, L.A. Reid to Speak at Mariah Carey’s Hollywood Star Ceremony
- Chicago Police Tow Car With Deceased Bodies Inside...Public Raises Hell! (Watch)
- Cops Kept Rihanna from Performing Free Freddie Gray Concert
- Steven Ivory: GOP and Trump—Pot, Meet Kettle
- Report: Whitney Decides Where Fortune Goes; Bobby Screwed
- Hasselbeck: Sandra Bland Could've Used Cigarette as a Weapon (WATCH)
- Ralkina Jones: 3rd Black Woman in Two Weeks to Die in Jail Cell
- Rapper Styles P Reveals Daughter Committed Suicide
- Hulk Hogan Wonders Why Obama Can Use N-Word and Not Him in Retweet
- Joe Jackson Alert, Feeling Good After Stroke, Heart Attacks
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here