*ABC’s “Scandal,” starring Kerry Washington as a D.C. political fixer, has dominated the social media spectrum on Thursdays this season, with the Jan. 31 episode generating more than 2,200 tweets a minute and five worldwide trending topics, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The entire cast has contributed to the effort, live-tweeting during episodes using the #AskScandal hashtag and generating such story-driven tags as #WhoShotFitz and #WhatTheHuck.
“Everybody is super-involved and willing to do whatever it takes to make this show work,” creator Shonda Rhimes tells THR. “People heard about the show from other people — Oprah Winfrey heard about it from Twitter — and that got other people watching. That really helped us.”
The strategy is working: Original episodes of Scandal are averaging a 3.1 rating this season, up 19 percent in the key adults 18-to-49 demographic, en route to overtaking CBS’ “Elementary” at 10 p.m. Thursdays. And the trajectory is upward: The Jan. 31 episode delivered its best retention of lead-in “Grey’s Anatomy” to date, holding 96 percent in the 18-to-49 metric as it threatens to surpass Rhimes’ longtime ratings champ.
ABC, meanwhile, has fully embraced the Twitter strategy, promoting the #AskScandal phenomenon into its on-air promos (below) for the drama.
- Donovan McNabb Arrested on Suspicion of DUI - Again
- Serena Advances at Wimbledon with Win Against Victoria Azarenka
- Women Traveling Solo: Wear a Fake Wedding Ring (and Other Tips!)
- Paula Deen Tweets Photo of Son in Brownface
- ‘The Real’s’ Jeannie Mai, ESPN, PGA Latest to Dump Trump
- Judge Refuses to Dismiss Suge Knight's Murder Case
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Stripped of WBO Title Over Nonpayment of Fee
- Whoopi: Bill Cosby is ‘Still Innocent Until Proven Guilty’; Raven-Symone Needs More Proof
- Bill Cosby Accusers Feel Vindicated with Newly Released Confession
- ‘Married To Medicine’s’ Quad & Lisa Nicole Cloud Cat Fightin' (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here