Zimmerman remains in hiding and “can’t go out in public without wearing a disguise or body armor,” defense attorney Mark O’Mara told CNN.
Zimmerman admitted to shooting and killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. He claims that he mistook the teen for a burglar and shot him in self-defense last year February, 26.
In his defense, Zimmerman and his team have been banking on Florida’s Stand Your Ground law that allows people to use lethal force in self-defense.
The trial is set for June. The defense will ask the charges be dropped on the basis of the law.
“George didn’t have an opportunity to retreat, so calling this a ‘Stand Your Ground’ hearing in not accurate,” O’Mara also told CNN Wednesday.
Because of this tragic case, the law, which was passed in 2005, is now being contested.
Martin’s parents are currently in the fight for stricter gun laws and more awareness nationwide.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Remodeling Your Home: The Risks You Need to Know
- THE (05-02-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- OMG! Did Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, Really Respond to My Friendly 'Hello?'
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here