Zimmerman remains in hiding and “can’t go out in public without wearing a disguise or body armor,” defense attorney Mark O’Mara told CNN.
Zimmerman admitted to shooting and killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. He claims that he mistook the teen for a burglar and shot him in self-defense last year February, 26.
In his defense, Zimmerman and his team have been banking on Florida’s Stand Your Ground law that allows people to use lethal force in self-defense.
The trial is set for June. The defense will ask the charges be dropped on the basis of the law.
“George didn’t have an opportunity to retreat, so calling this a ‘Stand Your Ground’ hearing in not accurate,” O’Mara also told CNN Wednesday.
Because of this tragic case, the law, which was passed in 2005, is now being contested.
Martin’s parents are currently in the fight for stricter gun laws and more awareness nationwide.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Naughty by Nature Hitting the Road to Celebrate 25th Anniversary
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Jasmyne Cannick: Before Cops Encourage the Public to Snitch Maybe They Should Lead By Example (VIDEO)
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- RECAP: Empire (S2, Ep9) Sinned Against
- Jason Kidd Suspended for Slapping Ball Out of Ref’s Hand (Watch)
- Mariah Carey, Ex-Husband Nick Cannon Spend Thanksgiving Together
- Siri Gives Taraji P. Henson Attitude in New Apple Music Ad
- Provocative New Ebook Details Trump and the GOP’s Race Baiting History and the White House Race
- Put the 'Black' Back in 'Black Friday'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here