Zimmerman remains in hiding and “can’t go out in public without wearing a disguise or body armor,” defense attorney Mark O’Mara told CNN.
Zimmerman admitted to shooting and killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. He claims that he mistook the teen for a burglar and shot him in self-defense last year February, 26.
In his defense, Zimmerman and his team have been banking on Florida’s Stand Your Ground law that allows people to use lethal force in self-defense.
The trial is set for June. The defense will ask the charges be dropped on the basis of the law.
“George didn’t have an opportunity to retreat, so calling this a ‘Stand Your Ground’ hearing in not accurate,” O’Mara also told CNN Wednesday.
Because of this tragic case, the law, which was passed in 2005, is now being contested.
Martin’s parents are currently in the fight for stricter gun laws and more awareness nationwide.
- Chris Brown's Baby Mama Nia Guzman Responds to Criminal Allegations
- The Socialist's Journal: Kim Davis
- (Min. Paul Scott) Why Black Minds Matter: Readin’, Writin’ and Revolution
- CurlKit Launches 'Curlstar Favorits Box' - Offering Consumers Instant Access to Brands Coveted by Superstars
- Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable Awards Mumia Abu Jamal Health Fund
- THE (09-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- (The Black Hat) Nicki Minaj: The White Girl Hunter
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Neighbors Complain Kardashians Wasting Water During Drought
- Will Packer Marries Longtime Love in Surprise Atlanta Wedding
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here