Zimmerman remains in hiding and “can’t go out in public without wearing a disguise or body armor,” defense attorney Mark O’Mara told CNN.
Zimmerman admitted to shooting and killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. He claims that he mistook the teen for a burglar and shot him in self-defense last year February, 26.
In his defense, Zimmerman and his team have been banking on Florida’s Stand Your Ground law that allows people to use lethal force in self-defense.
The trial is set for June. The defense will ask the charges be dropped on the basis of the law.
“George didn’t have an opportunity to retreat, so calling this a ‘Stand Your Ground’ hearing in not accurate,” O’Mara also told CNN Wednesday.
Because of this tragic case, the law, which was passed in 2005, is now being contested.
Martin’s parents are currently in the fight for stricter gun laws and more awareness nationwide.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Olympics-Bound Gymnast Simone Biles Can Not Be Stopped (Watch)
- Judge Joe Brown Banned from Practicing Law in Tennessee
- DMX Joins Keke Palmer, Aunjanue Ellis in Indie Film ‘Pimp’
- Kanye West Expands Adidas Partnership to Include Line of Apparel, Accessories
- Willow Smith: The New Face of Chanel Eyewear (Pics & Video)
- Father of Orlando Shooting Victim Refuses to Claim Son's Body
- Russell Simmons' All Def Digital Lands New $10M in Financing
- Daniel Craig In Talks to Join Halle Berry in LA Riots Drama ‘Kings’
- Theodore 'Ted' Myles Terry's 'Turn Me Loose' (Life & Times of Dick Gregory) a Success
- Ringside Update/ Thurman vs Porter A Clash of Young Titans
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here