Zimmerman remains in hiding and “can’t go out in public without wearing a disguise or body armor,” defense attorney Mark O’Mara told CNN.
Zimmerman admitted to shooting and killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. He claims that he mistook the teen for a burglar and shot him in self-defense last year February, 26.
In his defense, Zimmerman and his team have been banking on Florida’s Stand Your Ground law that allows people to use lethal force in self-defense.
The trial is set for June. The defense will ask the charges be dropped on the basis of the law.
“George didn’t have an opportunity to retreat, so calling this a ‘Stand Your Ground’ hearing in not accurate,” O’Mara also told CNN Wednesday.
Because of this tragic case, the law, which was passed in 2005, is now being contested.
Martin’s parents are currently in the fight for stricter gun laws and more awareness nationwide.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ringside Update / A Triple Boxing Championship Weekend
- Soulja Boy Exaggerated $400M Payday from World Poker Fund
- Skai Jackson On Being Meme Worthy and Beef with Azealia Banks
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- ‘The Real’: Loni Love, Jeannie Mai Show Love to Former Co-host Tamar Braxton
- Black Male Valedictorian, Straight A Student, Barred from Walking Grad Stage
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here