*Even though she’s been roiled by Nina Simone fans and others, Zoe Saldana hasn’t responded to the criticism. Until now. She told Hip Hollywood she took this role for her people.
“What keeps me focused and what kept me from getting stressed and hurt by the comments is [that] I’m doing this for my sisters,” the actress said. “I’m doing it for my brothers. I don’t care who tells me I’m not this and that. I know who I am. I know what Nina Simone means to me. That is my truth and that is what set me free.”
She’s managed to find a way to stay encouraged and focused on her purpose, mentioning that taking on the task was for the love of her people.
“I did it out of love,” she said. “Out of love for Nina. Out of love for my people. For who I am. My pride of being a Black woman. A Latina woman. An American woman. That’s my truth.”
While the movie’s details have been hush, it’s slated to be released this year.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Will Smith Planning Political Run 'In The Near Future'
- Angie Stone Recalls the Time She Passed on Dating Idris Elba
- 3 Things to Do NOW to Transform Your Life (WATCH)
- The Kobie Chronicles: 'Red, White & Baltimore' Premiere As Freddie Gray Trials Commence
- Lamar Odom's Lucky Break: Prosecution for Cocaine Possession Unlikely
- Why?! Well Known Black Ministers Set to Meet With Trump
- Movie Watch: Big Weekend for Creed, The Good Dinosaur, Victor Frankenstein
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Walt Disney’s 'The Good Dinosaur' is a Story of a Bond of Two Unlikely Friends
- Naughty by Nature Hitting the Road to Celebrate 25th Anniversary
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here