*Even though she’s been roiled by Nina Simone fans and others, Zoe Saldana hasn’t responded to the criticism. Until now. She told Hip Hollywood she took this role for her people.
“What keeps me focused and what kept me from getting stressed and hurt by the comments is [that] I’m doing this for my sisters,” the actress said. “I’m doing it for my brothers. I don’t care who tells me I’m not this and that. I know who I am. I know what Nina Simone means to me. That is my truth and that is what set me free.”
She’s managed to find a way to stay encouraged and focused on her purpose, mentioning that taking on the task was for the love of her people.
“I did it out of love,” she said. “Out of love for Nina. Out of love for my people. For who I am. My pride of being a Black woman. A Latina woman. An American woman. That’s my truth.”
While the movie’s details have been hush, it’s slated to be released this year.
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here