*According to Deadline, Antoine Fuqua‘s “Olympus Has Fallen,” released by FilmDistrict, is looking solid at the box office in its opening weekend.
“Olympus,” which cost $70 million, grossed $10 million on Friday and $12.8 on Saturday for $30.8 million.
Pic scored an ‘A-’ with audiences which helped word of mouth. That’s a relief because the movie’s cost of $70M is one of the bigger budgets this small indie film company has ever released.
Plot of the White House takeover by terrorists is newly plausible considering sequester spending cuts meant the U.S. government couldn’t even afford White House tours anymore because of Secret Service staff shortages. No surprise that the film did publicity at the recent CPAC convention for conservative politicos.
The film was tracking strongest with males ages 18-plus and over performed its expected high teens. Director and producer Fuqua with Mark Gill assembled a solid cast of Gerard Butler, Morgan Freeman, Aaron Eckhart, Angela Bassett, Melissa Leo, Ashley Judd, Robert Forster and Rick Yune.
Meanwhile, DreamWorks Animation‘s PG rated pre-historic newcomer “The Croods” led the domestic box office. It’s looking for a $44 million weekend opening.
For more info and the full top ten list, click over to Deadline.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Iyanla Vanzant Interview | Black Hollywood Lives' Conversations (Watch)
- Here’s How the Man Murdoch Calls a 'Real Black President' Will Govern
- Karrueche Says Career Suffering Because Of Chris Brown
- Nicki Minaj Ends Interview After 'Rude' Questions About Drake, Meek Mill
- Fox Orders 3 More Episodes of Morris Chestnut’s ‘Rosewood’
- Rupert Murdock...Seriously? You're Going to Define Whose 'Really Black'
- Jennifer Hudson Opens Up About Murder of Family Members
- #BlackTwitter Comes for Piers Morgan Over ‘I Love My Whiteness’
- Matt Barnes: I Was Checking On My Kids, Not Confronting Derek Fisher
- Ben Carson Now Blaming the Holocaust on Gun Control (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here