*According to Deadline, Antoine Fuqua‘s “Olympus Has Fallen,” released by FilmDistrict, is looking solid at the box office in its opening weekend.
“Olympus,” which cost $70 million, grossed $10 million on Friday and $12.8 on Saturday for $30.8 million.
Pic scored an ‘A-’ with audiences which helped word of mouth. That’s a relief because the movie’s cost of $70M is one of the bigger budgets this small indie film company has ever released.
Plot of the White House takeover by terrorists is newly plausible considering sequester spending cuts meant the U.S. government couldn’t even afford White House tours anymore because of Secret Service staff shortages. No surprise that the film did publicity at the recent CPAC convention for conservative politicos.
The film was tracking strongest with males ages 18-plus and over performed its expected high teens. Director and producer Fuqua with Mark Gill assembled a solid cast of Gerard Butler, Morgan Freeman, Aaron Eckhart, Angela Bassett, Melissa Leo, Ashley Judd, Robert Forster and Rick Yune.
Meanwhile, DreamWorks Animation‘s PG rated pre-historic newcomer “The Croods” led the domestic box office. It’s looking for a $44 million weekend opening.
For more info and the full top ten list, click over to Deadline.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Author Guarantees 'Boy, Get a Job...' Helps Teens Find Work
- THE (02-11-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Oh God: Johnny Depp Nails 'The Donald' in Funny or Die Video (Look!)
- Will Smith Calls Son Jayden 'Fearless' for Rockin' Women's Clothes
- Lakatriona Brunson: Florida’s First Female Head Football Coach
- Justice Dept. Sues City of Ferguson Over Pattern of Police Abuse
- Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino Return to 'American Idol' This Week
- Kardashians Call Depiction in ‘People v. OJ’ Ep 2 ‘Ridiculous’
- Drama at ‘Fashion Police’ Between NeNe and Giuliana?
- Claudia Jordan, Jennifer Williams: Shots Fired Hours Before ‘The Next 15’ Premiere
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here