*According to Deadline, Antoine Fuqua‘s “Olympus Has Fallen,” released by FilmDistrict, is looking solid at the box office in its opening weekend.
“Olympus,” which cost $70 million, grossed $10 million on Friday and $12.8 on Saturday for $30.8 million.
Pic scored an ‘A-’ with audiences which helped word of mouth. That’s a relief because the movie’s cost of $70M is one of the bigger budgets this small indie film company has ever released.
Plot of the White House takeover by terrorists is newly plausible considering sequester spending cuts meant the U.S. government couldn’t even afford White House tours anymore because of Secret Service staff shortages. No surprise that the film did publicity at the recent CPAC convention for conservative politicos.
The film was tracking strongest with males ages 18-plus and over performed its expected high teens. Director and producer Fuqua with Mark Gill assembled a solid cast of Gerard Butler, Morgan Freeman, Aaron Eckhart, Angela Bassett, Melissa Leo, Ashley Judd, Robert Forster and Rick Yune.
Meanwhile, DreamWorks Animation‘s PG rated pre-historic newcomer “The Croods” led the domestic box office. It’s looking for a $44 million weekend opening.
For more info and the full top ten list, click over to Deadline.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Danger Sign in Bail for Alleged Cincinnati Police Shooter Ray Tensing
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here