*Beyonce shared her support for gay marriage on Tuesday, the first day of the Supreme Court hearings on California’s Prop 8, a ban on same-sex marriage.
In a short handwritten note posted to her Instagram and Facebook pages, Bey wrote “If you like it you should be able to put a ring on it,” Jay-Z’s wife wrote, riffing on the lyrics to her smash hit “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It).” Beneath that, she added the hashtag “WeWillUniteForMarriageEquality.”
Within 15 hours, the note had more than 211,000 “likes” on Instagram and over 30,600 shares on Facebook. “It’s about time,” the “Love on Top” singer, 31, said in another picture, which featured the hashtag “MarriageIsLove.” “Show your support!”
Beyonce wasn’t the only celebrity to promote marriage equality this week. Kate Walsh, Lance Bass, Padma Lakshmi, Ben Affleck, and Leonardo DiCaprio also showed their support by changing their Facebook profile pictures to a red version of the Human Rights Campaign logo, while other stars offered messages on Twitter.
“Today, the Supreme Court is hearing one of the most important cases in history,” “House of Lies” actress Kristen Bell wrote. “Don’t sleep on it. Equality matters.” (The pregnant star and fiance Dax Shepard have said they won’t wed until same-sex marriage is federalized.)
Beyonce’s husband voiced a similar sentiment last May. “I’ve always thought it was something that was still holding the country back,” Jay-Z, 43, told CNN of the ban on same-sex marriage. “What people do in their own homes is their business and you can choose to love whoever you love. That’s their business. It’s no different than discriminating against blacks. It’s discrimination, plain and simple.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toyota Motor Credit to Pay $21.9 Million for Discrimination
- THE (02-08-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Award Winning Pianist Kris Bowers to Perform at Benefit Concert.
- A Miserable Cam Newton Bolts Out of Press Conference (WATCH)
- After Super Bowl 50 Performance Beyonce Announces 'Formation Tour'
- Denver Broncos Beat Carolina Panthers 24-10 to Win Super Bowl
- PETA Approves Jada Pinkett Smith's Ivory Tusk Decor
- John Legend Goes ‘Underground’ With Activism For Upcoming WGN Series
- Antoine Fuqua to Direct ‘Training Day’ Series for CBS
- Chicago Cop Fatally Shoots Teen, Then Sues His Family
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here