*Bill Cosby isn’t anyone’s Dr. Huxtable anymore.
The outspoken actor and activist recently compared today’s Republicans to racist segregationists for staying in their seats during the president’s State of the Union Address.
During a discussion about the Voting Rights Act in a (debatable) post racial society on “Starting Point” with CNN’s Soledad O’Brien, he pointed to the prevalent racism of today.
O’Brien gleaned to Cosby’s achievements in an intense period in American history and noted that it may have appeared to some that the nation progressed to a post racial society.
“I read about you, at the same time the fight for rights in the South was going on,” she said to Cosby, “you were on the verge of winning an Emmy award. First black man – in 1966 you would win an Emmy award. And the show, ‘I Spy,’ was banned in the South.”
“It’s just hard to believe,” co-panelist, Rep. Connie Mack (R-FL) said. “It’s unbelievable.”
“I don’t think so,” Cosby quickly responded. “Not when you look at the President’s speech recently.”
“To see people sitting down when there are others standing and cheering. I think we have people sitting there who are as bad as the people who were against any kind of desegregation. And then in place of a better America, they want their own sick feelings put across, and it’s — it isn’t — it isn’t a good time, but I think, also on our part as professors and presidents of colleges all over, and in public schools, we need to get the education of the correct history that happened so people can say, ‘Yes, this really did happen.’”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Will Smith Admits That ‘Wild Wild West’ Was a Bad Career Move
- Las Vegas Prince Tribute Show A Hit Since Singer's Passing
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Texas Woman Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery with British Accent (WATCH)
- Kanye West Unveils Mind Blowing, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video (WATCH)
- Look! New Poster for 'When the Bough Breaks' Starring Morris Chestnut & Regina Hall
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Drake Getting Sued By Producer Detail Over Broken Jaw Assault
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here