*The African-American Film Critics Association (AAFCA) honored the special achievements of iconic actress Cicely Tyson, vanguard film studio Screen Gems and the renowned Pan African Film Festival.
During this year’s ceremony, the organization also introduced its Ashley Boone Award, named for the pioneering former president at Fox Studios, which was presented to Will Packer and Rob Hardy’s Rainforest Films.
The invitation only event was presented during a private luncheon last Friday (February 22, 2013) at the California Yacht Club in Marina Del Rey, CA.
A former secretary turned actress, Cicely Tyson received AAFCA’s “Legacy Award” for her work in cinema over the last five decades. The venerable Pan African Film Festival, represented by co-founder Ja’Net DuBois, was recognized for its 25-year history of providing support to emerging African-American filmmakers.
Screen Gems and Rainforest Films jointly received AAFCA’s “Cinema Vanguard Award” for their exemplary commitment for diversity in film. Receiving the award for Rainforest was Will Packer and Clint Culpepper for Screen Gems.
“It is a privilege and an honor to bestow AAFCA’s Special Achievement Awards to these great individuals and organizations,” said AAFCA founder and president, Gil Robertson IV. “Each of our special honorees has added significant value to their respective crafts while also paving the way for emerging talent in this business.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Fox Orders 3 More Episodes of Morris Chestnut’s ‘Rosewood’
- Rupert Murdock...Seriously? You're Going to Define Whose 'Really Black'
- Jennifer Hudson Opens Up About Murder of Family Members
- #BlackTwitter Comes for Piers Morgan Over ‘I Love My Whiteness’
- Matt Barnes: I Was Checking On My Kids, Not Confronting Derek Fisher
- Ben Carson Now Blaming the Holocaust on Gun Control (Watch)
- Done Deal: F. Gary Gray Confirmed to Direct ‘Fast & Furious 8’
- Kelly Rowland is the New Face of Seagram’s Escapes
- Temple Board of Trustees Set to Replace Bill Cosby with Tamron Hall
- Rinkins Report: FMU's Black Male College Explorers Program helps decrease achievement gap
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here