*The African-American Film Critics Association (AAFCA) honored the special achievements of iconic actress Cicely Tyson, vanguard film studio Screen Gems and the renowned Pan African Film Festival.
During this year’s ceremony, the organization also introduced its Ashley Boone Award, named for the pioneering former president at Fox Studios, which was presented to Will Packer and Rob Hardy’s Rainforest Films.
The invitation only event was presented during a private luncheon last Friday (February 22, 2013) at the California Yacht Club in Marina Del Rey, CA.
A former secretary turned actress, Cicely Tyson received AAFCA’s “Legacy Award” for her work in cinema over the last five decades. The venerable Pan African Film Festival, represented by co-founder Ja’Net DuBois, was recognized for its 25-year history of providing support to emerging African-American filmmakers.
Screen Gems and Rainforest Films jointly received AAFCA’s “Cinema Vanguard Award” for their exemplary commitment for diversity in film. Receiving the award for Rainforest was Will Packer and Clint Culpepper for Screen Gems.
“It is a privilege and an honor to bestow AAFCA’s Special Achievement Awards to these great individuals and organizations,” said AAFCA founder and president, Gil Robertson IV. “Each of our special honorees has added significant value to their respective crafts while also paving the way for emerging talent in this business.”
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here