*Dionne Warwick’s monstrous tax debt has become too much to bear.
The Grammy Award-winning singer has filed for bankruptcy in New Jersey, citing tax problems due to financial mismanagement, her publicist said Monday.
The singer, 72, filed the petition on March 21 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New Jersey, the state where she was born and currently lives. She listed total assets of $25,500 and total liabilities of more than $10.7 million, nearly all tax claims by the Internal Revenue Service and the state of California, according to the filing.
The personal bankruptcy filing was due to “negligent and gross financial mismanagement” in the late 1980s through mid-1990s, Warwick’s publicist, Kevin Sasaki, said in a statement.
The IRS and California tax claims total more than $10.2 million, mostly from the 1990s, according to the petition, which listed Warwick’s average monthly income as $20,950 and expenses at $20,940. Sasaki said the actual back taxes owed had already been paid, but the penalties and interest has continued to accrue.
“In light of the magnitude of her tax liabilities, Warwick has repeatedly attempted to offer re-payment plans and proposals to the IRS and the California Franchise Tax Board for taxes owed,” Sasaki said. “These plans were not accepted, resulting in escalating interest and penalties.”
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Welcomes Daughter
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here