Now she’s on the small screen again in two sitcoms – starring in “Are We There Yet?” on TBS and in a recurring role on the syndicated series “Mr. Box Office.” She says she loves being on those shows.
“I love working with those veterans, I mean Bill Bellamy, Tim Meadows, Jon Lovitz, you know, and then we have Vivica Fox and Rick Fox and occasionally Gary Busey. I just love working with people who’s been in this business for such a long time and are such pros and are so wonderfully generous. I have a great time.”
Bill Bellamy and the other names she mentioned are her co-stars on “Mr. Box Office” where she plays unflappable teacher Samantha Owens. It’s a different story for her, so to speak, on “Are We There Yet?” – small screen spinoff of rapper Ice Cube’s movie of the same name. Atkins, while working outside the home, and her husband, portrayed by Terry Crews, raise two children. Having a career, being married and raising a child hits close to home. Atkins married her Match.com sweetheart Jaime Mendez in 2009 and they have a son, Varro, who was born in 2011 on Christmas day.
She practically grew up in Hollywood, starting her acting career at 14 years old. Now she’s 41 and has starred in a number of movies, including the relationship flick, Deliver Us from Eva. Atkins has landed roles ranging from dramatic in Deliver Us from Eva to gut busting funny in her latest movie, “A Haunted House,” she describes as a “a spoof of the paranormal activity movies” also starring Marlon Wayons. When asked how she thought African American women actors were faring in their chosen field, Atkins reply showed she had an issue with some reality TV shows.
“I think we are challenged. We are challenged to try and get different kinds of images out there besides the stereotypes and besides the ones that we are seeing portrayed on reality TV. You know reality TV is really just based for sensationalism. So, it’s extreme versions and extreme caricatures of personalities. That is not the totality of who we are. Our struggle is really to find ways and find mediums that will host other images besides those.”
“Are We There Yet?” airs on TBS, Wednesday nights at 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., Eastern and Pacific times.
See more of Essence Atkins exclusive interview with Tene’ in video directly below.
Reach Tene’ Croom at [email protected]
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here