*Amidst an illegal-gambling scandal, Florida Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll announced her resignation, giving no explanation.
Officials have arrested 57 people in connection to the scheme. According to a spokesperson for governor Rick Scott, she was questioned by the state’s law enforcement, regarding her work with Allied Veterans of the World, a non-profit charity that aids veterans.
“Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll consulted for Allied Veterans while serving as a member of the Florida House of Representatives in 2009 and 2010. She was interviewed by Florida Department of Law Enforcement officers regarding her work with the company,” he said. “Lt. Gov. Carroll resigned in an effort to keep her former affiliation with the company from distracting from the administration’s important work on behalf of Florida families. She made the right decision for the state and her family.”
On Wednesday, local Florida officials charged 57 people in connection to a $300 million conspiracy tied to Allied Veterans.
Carroll was the first African American elected to Florida’s statewide office.
Read more at CNN.
Watch this video report:
- POLITICO Magazine: U.S. Mayors Say Ferguson Could Also Happen in Their Cities
- New 'Legal Equalizer' App Aims to Counter Racial Profiling (WATCH)
- Martin Luther King III and Andrew Young to Attend Voting Right Press Conference
- THE (07-29-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- KDAY 93.5 FM Hosts ‘Uplifting Minds II’ National Talent Showcase Competition Saturday, October 24 at the Celebrity Centre in Hollywood
- Reggie Jackson Apologizes for Profane Outburst Against Fans
- 'Empire' Costars Trai Byers and Grace Gealey Set to be Married
- More Sandra Bland Video Released to Prove She Arrived Alive At Jail
- Netflix Announces Mike Epps Special, 'Chelsea Handler Does Racism’, More at TCA Press Tour
- Paul Mooney Says Bill Cosby Got His 'N****r Wake-up Call'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here