*In a stunning twist, George Zimmerman, accused murderer of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, waived his right to the ‘Stand Your Ground’ law.
The event caused so much debate around the world, leading to more discussion about the controversial law.
Zimmerman was scheduled to sit through a hearing on April 22, which may change the way prosecutors approach the trial on June 10.
For over a year, Trayvon supporters and family members have awaited a trial date. The court denied any further delay to proceed.
This latest move comes after a string of setbacks for Zimmerman, when Florida judge Debra Nelson not only denied a trial delay but also ordered that the defendant must remain under 24-hour GPS monitoring while awaiting the proceedings, reports the Huffington Post.
Nelson was appointed to the case after the former Judge Kenneth Lester was asked to step down. Zimmerman’s lawyers were also denied permission to question a young woman who is presumed to be the last known person to speak with Martin the night of the fatal encounter.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Zimmerman’s lawyers are investigating the young woman, who is known as Witness 8. Defense lawyer Don West said the witness “misrepresented” in a sworn statement that she missed Martin’s funeral because she was hospitalized, however, prosecutors confirmed there were no medical records.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Bobby Shmurda to Sue NYPD Over False Arrest & Gun Charges
- Thanks to Stephen Curry, NBA To See Record Playoff Viewers
- Moya Angela: Dreamgirls' 'Effie' Speaks Exclusively to EURweb
- Aretha Franklin Covers 'Purple Rain' at International Jazz Day (WATCH)
- New Woman Claims She’s Prince’s Long-Lost Half Sister; Seeks Piece of Estate
- Donald Trump Mocks Carly Fiorina’s Stage Fall: ‘Anybody See That? She Went Down’
- Malia Obama Takes One-Year Deferment Prior to Harvard Start
- Prince Talks Michael Jackson's Death, Chris Brown in Never-Published 2014 Rolling Stone Interview
- Dixie Chicks Cover Beyonce’s ‘Daddy Lessons’ Despite Song's Nashville Backlash (Watch)
- Prince’s Siblings Attend Packed Hearing; Judge Appoints Special Administrator
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here