*In a stunning twist, George Zimmerman, accused murderer of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, waived his right to the ‘Stand Your Ground’ law.
The event caused so much debate around the world, leading to more discussion about the controversial law.
Zimmerman was scheduled to sit through a hearing on April 22, which may change the way prosecutors approach the trial on June 10.
For over a year, Trayvon supporters and family members have awaited a trial date. The court denied any further delay to proceed.
This latest move comes after a string of setbacks for Zimmerman, when Florida judge Debra Nelson not only denied a trial delay but also ordered that the defendant must remain under 24-hour GPS monitoring while awaiting the proceedings, reports the Huffington Post.
Nelson was appointed to the case after the former Judge Kenneth Lester was asked to step down. Zimmerman’s lawyers were also denied permission to question a young woman who is presumed to be the last known person to speak with Martin the night of the fatal encounter.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Zimmerman’s lawyers are investigating the young woman, who is known as Witness 8. Defense lawyer Don West said the witness “misrepresented” in a sworn statement that she missed Martin’s funeral because she was hospitalized, however, prosecutors confirmed there were no medical records.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: It’s Still a Woman Thing with Hillary
- Blake Griffin Suspended 4 Games For Punching Clippers Trainer
- Hymn to Him: The Power of Congregational Singing!
- Patti LaBelle Joins ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Christina Aguilera
- Khloe Kardashian Joins OkCupid After Split From James Harden
- LeSean McCoy: Video of Club Brawl With Off Duty Cops (Watch)
- DMX Hospitalized After Discovered Unconscious at Hotel
- Red Lobster Sales and Social Media Soar Since Beyonce’s ‘Formation’
- EUR Celebrates Black History Month - From AFRICAN SKETCHBOOK to OUR ROOTS
- What?! All Traces of Rapist-Cop Daniel Holtzclaw Gone from Database
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here