*In a stunning twist, George Zimmerman, accused murderer of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, waived his right to the ‘Stand Your Ground’ law.
The event caused so much debate around the world, leading to more discussion about the controversial law.
Zimmerman was scheduled to sit through a hearing on April 22, which may change the way prosecutors approach the trial on June 10.
For over a year, Trayvon supporters and family members have awaited a trial date. The court denied any further delay to proceed.
This latest move comes after a string of setbacks for Zimmerman, when Florida judge Debra Nelson not only denied a trial delay but also ordered that the defendant must remain under 24-hour GPS monitoring while awaiting the proceedings, reports the Huffington Post.
Nelson was appointed to the case after the former Judge Kenneth Lester was asked to step down. Zimmerman’s lawyers were also denied permission to question a young woman who is presumed to be the last known person to speak with Martin the night of the fatal encounter.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Zimmerman’s lawyers are investigating the young woman, who is known as Witness 8. Defense lawyer Don West said the witness “misrepresented” in a sworn statement that she missed Martin’s funeral because she was hospitalized, however, prosecutors confirmed there were no medical records.
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Lupita Nyong’o to Make NY Stage Debut in Danai Gurira's ‘Eclipsed’
- Mariah Carey to Direct Hallmark Film, Sets NYC Xmas Shows, European Tour
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here