Keith Urban, Randy Jackson and Mariah Carey were on hand for the evening’s first performance by Curtis Finch Jr., while Nicki Minaj was just arriving to the studio.
Host Ryan Seacrest explained that Minaj was “stuck in traffic” on the 405 and kept the show moving until she arrived. He announced that the top 10 had to perform songs immortalized by previous “Idol” winners.
Curtis – who performed Fantasia’s “Believe”- told E! news: ”During the performance, Nicki was backstage.” He added that he almost ran into her as he stepped off stage: ”It was literally like, ‘Step, step, step, curtain, Nicki. And she was like, “Good job today.” ‘ To see her backstage was comforting.”
Some of the other contestants noted Nicki has fallen foul of LA’s notoriously bad traffic before.
Paul Jolley said: ”It’s not the first time and probably not the last. But I’m OK with it. I love Nicki.”
Burnell Taylor, who sang Westlife’s “Flying Without Wings,” on the show feels Nicki has earned the right to be late if she chooses: ”I mean, when you look that good, you have to be late.”
Devin Velez came up with some possible solutions to get the “Starships” rapper to the studios on time: ”Maybe we could get her a helicopter. Or some tennis shoes, so she can run.”
Meanwhile, Candice Glover and Amber Holcomb continued to impress the judges and the audience. Candice belted “I Who Have Nothing,” which Jordin Sparks famously sang en route to her Season 6 win in 2007.
Nicki, who had returned by this time sporting a hoodie and sunglasses, demanded that “I Who Have Nothing” should be retired from the show after Glover’s knockout version.
Holcomb took on Kelly Clarkson’s victory song “A Moment Like This” from season one. Urban was in “awe,” while Minaj said it was “the best performance of the night.”
Louisiana’s Taylor is also in it to win it. After his take on Ruben Studdard’s “Flying Without Wings,” Urban said he loved his “Burnell-isms,” as does Minaj who said she likes the “twists” as well, while Jackson said Taylor was “in the zone,” and Carey got “emotional.”
Watch the performances below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Woman Crashes Own Funeral, Shocking Husband Who Paid to Have Her Killed
- Coastal Town Being 'Targeted' by Great White Sharks
- NFL Great Jim Brown Celebrates 80th Birthday with Celebs and Family
- Meek Mill Sentenced to House Arrest & Six Years Probation
- Funnee: Will and Jada Called Out for Starting 'Ish' (WATCH)
- Kenya Moore Explains Why Cynthia Bailey 'Deeply Hurt Me' on 'RHOA'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here