*Although producers of History channel’s “The Bible” miniseries raised eyebrows for the controversial casting of a satan who resembled President Obama, the actor who plays Jesus calls the situation “hilarious.”
“I don’t think that’s controversial at all, I think that’s so funny,” Diogo Morgado told The Hollywood Reporter. “It’s just funny.”
Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni, who plays the devil, “did a nice job and it was awesome and never — not even for one second — were we even thinking about that, so I think it’s hilarious,” said Morgado. “At the same time, I think it’s just a sign of how successful the show is” because people are paying attention to “silly things.”
Before Sunday’s installment of The Bible, Ouazanni’s resemblance to Obama was first observed on Twitter by Glenn Beck, instantly sparking headlines about the striking physical similarity between the two.
“This is utter nonsense,” executive producers Mark Burnett and Roma Downey said Monday in a statement, noting that Quazanni “is a highly acclaimed Moroccan actor. He has previously played parts in several biblical epics — including Satanic characters long before Barack Obama was elected as our president.”
The husband-and-wife pair stepped out alongside Morgado on Tuesday night for the opening-night gala for The Bible Experience, an exhibit in downtown Manhattan featuring photography from the mini-series as well as biblical artifacts by way of the Vatican and a giant, two-ton crown of thorns hanging from the ceiling.
When asked about the Obama/Satan flap, the veteran reality TV mogul reiterated that Ouazanni was not cast for his Obama-like visage.
“It’s all about the light,” emphasized Burnett. “Can you ask everyone to tweet Jesus? Because we want everyone to spread the light!”
- Lorenzo Brown, Husband of Sister-2-Sister Publisher Jamie Brown, Dies of Cancer
- (The Black Hat) Serena Williams is a Winner, Not a Cover Girl
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'The Martian': 'Love Letter to Science' -- Matt Damon
- The Film Strip: New York Comic Con Tickets Going Fast
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Daniele Watts & Boyfriend Sentenced
- Shocking! How BGF Members Made $20K a Month in Jail
- Piano Man: Tyler Perry Buys Nat King Cole's Steinway for $150k
- Trump Dismisses Ramos, 2 Reporters Murdered in Virginia, Serena Williams New Boo | BHL's This Week
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here