*Kanye West called into New York’s Hot 97 for a rare discussion after landing at No. 7 on MTV’s Hottest MCs in the Game list.
No. 1 will be revealed on Thursday (March 7) at 10 p.m. on “MTV Jams.” So far, the list includes Meek Mill, Future and A$AP Rocky at Nos. 10 through 8 respectively, West’s artist Big Sean at No. 6 and Drake ranked No. 5.
“I’m happy for [Big] Sean,” he told DJ Enuff on “The Angie Martinez Show.” “But I feel like he should be on top 5. He’s bodying records, like the way he started off that ‘Mercy.'”
But he was less than pleased with his own No. 7 ranking, criticizing the list creators’ biases.
“What happens with them… I had like the pink polo and the backpack and I’m checkin’ all the boxes of that Tribe Called Quest era and J. Dilla and all that, so they wanna champion it. They don’t like Givenchy Kanye. They don’t like Kanye in a kilt. They don’t like Kanye in a relationship,” he said.
Not that he was expecting the top spot: In West’s opinion, the world’s No. 1 rapper is Lil Wayne.
“Yeah, I just think… him and [Jay-Z] and [Eminem] and certain people are just the greatest rappers of all time,” he said.
He finished with a call for the network’s Sway to remember his roots.
“I was living in Newark doing beats for Jay and Beans and all them and I was getting a new TV and I gave Sway his first TV,” West said. “And really I didn’t wanna even call to talk about the No. 7 list, I just wanna tell everybody that I gave Sway his first TV. And he need to remember that.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Blac Chyna Robbed, Threatens to Sue if Sex Tape with Tyga Leaks
- Chamique Holdsclaw Talks Mind/Game Documentary, Personal Struggle With Mental Illness
- Twitter Trolls React to Old Navy Ad Featuring Interracial Family
- Arsenio Hall Denies Sinead O’Connor's Prince Drug Claim
- Parents, Students Stunned as 2,700 Detroit Teachers 'Call in Sick'
- Beyonce Shows Up at the Met Gala Without U-Know-Who (WATCH)
- Robertson Treatment Syndicated Column (RTSC): Logan Westbrooks, Music Industry Pioneer
- Tupac Shakur's Mother Afeni Shakur-Davis Dies at 69
- No Biggie. White House Shrugs off Recent N-word Controversy
- The Socialist's Journal: 'Meternity Leave'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here