Recently, Oprah sat down with Keenen and several of the famous members of the family to discuss the magic behind the Wayans, but she isn’t the only one that spoke with the family!
It had been reported that “In Living Color” was coming back to television, new actors were cast and they shot a pilot, but recently it was reported that the show will not be returning to the airwaves.
EURweb associate Cherise Nicole (CNikky) also spoke to members of the Wayans family about their iconic sketch comedy show and why it will not be making a comeback.
According to Comcast:
Oprah sat down with some of the Wayans family including: Siblings Keenen Ivory Wayans, 54, Kim Wayans, 51, Shawn Wayans, 42, and Marlon Wayans, 40; and “second generation” Wayanses Damien Dante Wayans, 32, Damon Wayans Jr., 30, and Craig Wayans (age unavailable).
Missing from the group (for reasons unknown): Damon Wayans, 52, who starred with sibs Keenen, Kim, Shawn and Marlon from “In Living Color” on Fox in the early ’90s (along with Jim Carrey, Jamie Foxx, David Alan Grier and others).
Among the subjects the group covered were family, the art of comedy and naturally, “In Living Color.”
As the eldest in the group interviewed by Oprah, and the one credited most with creating “In Living Color,” Keenen seemed to do the lion’s share of the talking when Oprah visited with the family.
When asked how “In Living Color” came to be, Keenen answered that it was really about artistic freedom — which Fox granted him when they agreed to take on the show — and some very talented people who happened to be available, including Carrey, Grier and Damon.
Keenen spoke about comedy coming from pain:
“I think what people don’t understand is that comedy is a mask for pain,” Keenen said. “People who are innately funny are innately disturbed.” He wasn’t kidding when he said that.
We spoke with Keenen during the red carpet premiere of Second Generation Wayans about why “In Living Color” will not be coming back to television.
“After a lot of thought and discussion, I realize that the bar is set really high and if you’re not gonna beat that or pass that than it’s better to … let it alone,” Keenen told us.
Watch the interview below:
- Former NBA Star Darryl Dawkins (Chocolate Thunder) Dies at 58
- Chris Brown Tattoos Huge Bull on Other Side of his Head
- Judge Joe Brown in Jail for Contempt of Court (Listen to Him Challenge the Judge)
- Christina Milian Mourns Death of Newborn Nephew
- Spike Lee to Receive Honorary Academy Award
- IK Enemkpali Once Punched Man He Thought Was a Female Prostitute
- Hillary Clinton Disrupted by #BlackLivesMatter Protesters in Cleveland (Video)
- Ex NFLer Jonathan Martin Talks of Suicide Attempts, Never Being ‘Black Enough’
- Angie Stone & Daughter Address Violent Fight with T.D. Jakes (WATCH)
- MSNBC Moves Rev. Al Sharpton’s ‘PoliticsNation’ to Sunday Mornings
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here