*Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is facing up to 20 years in prison after he was convicted Monday of most of the federal charges against him in his public corruption case, including racketeering, extortion and filing false tax returns.
Kilpatrick is accused of running a criminal enterprise through the mayor’s office to enrich himself through bid-rigging and extortion, and using nonprofit funds for personal gain.
After 14 full days of deliberation, the jury reached a unanimous decision on 40 of 45 counts against Kilpatrick and Bobby Ferguson. No verdict was reached on the charges of racketeering against Bernard Kilpatrick.
Breaking with typical protocol, the verdict was not read by the jury foreperson. Instead, Judge Nancy Edmunds read the verdicts herself.
The panel of eight women and four men deliberated for close to 100 hours before finally reaching their decisions. The verdict was reached on Friday. The jury decided to go home and sleep on it over the weekend to see if anyone would change his or her mind by Monday morning.
The prosecution wants Kwame Kilpatrick and Ferguson in custody immediately. The judge will decide that during a 1:30 p.m. meeting. The prosecution believes they are flight risks.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ben Carson’s Debate Entrance Mocked on Daytime and Late Night TV (Watch)
- Sheryl Lee Ralph's Diva Foundation & Better Brothers LA Share the Top 6 Reasons for the 2nd Annual Truth Awards
- Judge Tosses Janice Dickinson’s Amended Complaint Against Cosby
- Cam Newton Says 'Show Me a Good Loser and I’ll Show You a Loser'
- EUR Exclusive: Chrisette Michele Talks Wedding, New Single & More (WATCH)
- Beyonce's 'Formation': How Being 'Unapologetically Black' Can Empower Black Women
- Stars Come Out for TV One's New Series 'Here We Go Again' in Atlanta (Pics)
- Overbrook Entertainment (Will Smith's Co.) 'Lacks Diversity' (Watch)
- The Socialist's Journal: The Problem for Democrats
- Ex-NFLer Bill Romanowski Calls Cam Newton ‘Boy’ in Racist Rant, Later Apologizes
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here