*Lupe Fiasco has released the tribute track “Jonylah Forever,” in honor of 6-month-old Jonylah Watkins who died in a Chicago shooting Monday.
Jonylah’s father, Jonathan Watkins, was changing his daughter’s diaper in his minivan on a popular Chicago street when the two were hit with a barrage of bullets. Both were rushed to the hospital where Jonylah died hours later.
Lupe, who is born and raised in the Windy City, released the track late last night via SoundCloud along with the tweet “Not a song but a life. Be respectful Please keep negative comments to yourself. #lovelifechitownforever,” reports MTV.
In the song, Lupe raps of an impossible future, in which Jonylah had never died and in fact, grown up, got out of the projects of her city and attended medical school. The repetitive line “You live” is an eerie reminder of what could have become of the baby’s life.
Less than 12 hours of its release, “Jonylah Forever” hit over 13,000 plays on SoundCloud.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Donald Trump Mocks Carly Fiorina’s Stage Fall: ‘Anybody See That? She Went Down’
- Prince Talks Michael Jackson's Death, Chris Brown in Never-Published 2014 Rolling Stone Interview
- Dixie Chicks Cover Beyonce’s ‘Daddy Lessons’ Despite Song's Nashville Backlash (Watch)
- Prince’s Siblings Attend Packed Hearing; Judge Appoints Special Administrator
- Keke Wyatt's Emotional Cover of Prince’s ‘Diamonds and Pearls’ (Watch)
- Al Sharpton Rips Larry Wilmore’s ‘My N**ga’ Salute to Obama (Watch)
- Justin Lin in Talks to Direct Lebron James in 'Space Jam 2'
- New Daytime Talk Show ‘The Preachers’ to Get Summer Test Run (Video)
- Oprah Winfrey to Star in HBO Films' ‘Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks’
- Kerry Washington Pregnant With Second Child
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here