*Lupe Fiasco has released the tribute track “Jonylah Forever,” in honor of 6-month-old Jonylah Watkins who died in a Chicago shooting Monday.
Jonylah’s father, Jonathan Watkins, was changing his daughter’s diaper in his minivan on a popular Chicago street when the two were hit with a barrage of bullets. Both were rushed to the hospital where Jonylah died hours later.
Lupe, who is born and raised in the Windy City, released the track late last night via SoundCloud along with the tweet “Not a song but a life. Be respectful Please keep negative comments to yourself. #lovelifechitownforever,” reports MTV.
In the song, Lupe raps of an impossible future, in which Jonylah had never died and in fact, grown up, got out of the projects of her city and attended medical school. The repetitive line “You live” is an eerie reminder of what could have become of the baby’s life.
Less than 12 hours of its release, “Jonylah Forever” hit over 13,000 plays on SoundCloud.
- LAPD on #100days100nights: 'Things Have Calmed Down'
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here