*Lupe Fiasco has released the tribute track “Jonylah Forever,” in honor of 6-month-old Jonylah Watkins who died in a Chicago shooting Monday.
Jonylah’s father, Jonathan Watkins, was changing his daughter’s diaper in his minivan on a popular Chicago street when the two were hit with a barrage of bullets. Both were rushed to the hospital where Jonylah died hours later.
Lupe, who is born and raised in the Windy City, released the track late last night via SoundCloud along with the tweet “Not a song but a life. Be respectful Please keep negative comments to yourself. #lovelifechitownforever,” reports MTV.
In the song, Lupe raps of an impossible future, in which Jonylah had never died and in fact, grown up, got out of the projects of her city and attended medical school. The repetitive line “You live” is an eerie reminder of what could have become of the baby’s life.
Less than 12 hours of its release, “Jonylah Forever” hit over 13,000 plays on SoundCloud.
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Watch Obama Meet Woman Named Weezy and Break Into ‘Jeffersons’ Theme Song
- Queen Latifah Moved By Her Own ‘Bessie’ Performance: I ‘Made Myself Cry’
- Floyd Mayweather, Jr. to Ronda Rousey: ‘Big Bank Take Little Bank’
- Beautiful Diversity of Redheads of African Descent Documented
- Zendaya Checks Twitter Hater Who Called her Parents ‘Ugly’
- Chris Brown Rips Baby Mama for Having a BF Accused of Forgery
- Watch Serena Williams Do Her Karaoke Thing with 'The Little Mermaid'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here