The Washington Post reports that the striking photo was shot by famed photographer Annie Leibovitz, who apparently tried to convince Michelle to do one of the “creative” portraits she’s known for.
(Do you recall Annie’s Whoopi Goldberg in a bathtub full of milk, or a naked John Lennon clinging to Yoko Ono?) Nice try Annie, but the FLOTUS wasn’t having it. Nope, she decided to go for a straightforward photo in a blue Reed Krakoff sheath dress that she pulled from her own closet.
The post reminds that Mrs. Obama first appeared on the cover of Vogue‘s March 2009 issue. The new issue will be on newsstands next week.
One morning in late January, I am standing at one end of the grand red-carpeted corridor that runs through the center of the White House, when suddenly the First Lady appears at the other. “Heeeee’s comin’,” she says of her husband’s imminent arrival. “He’s coming down the stairs now.” The president is on his way from the residence above, and just a split second before he appears, the First Lady, in a midnight-blue Reed Krakoff sleeveless dress and a black kitten heel, slips into the tiniest bit of a surprisingly good soft-shoe, and then the two of them walk arm in arm into the Red Room to sit for a portrait by Annie Leibovitz. The photographer has her iPod playing the Black Eyed Peas song “Where Is the Love?” It is a mid-tempo hip-hop lament about the problematic state of the world. As the First Lady and an aide laugh together over some inside joke, the president starts nodding his head to the beat: “Who picked the music? I love this song.”
I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder
As I’m gettin’ older, y’all, people gets colder
Most of us only care about money makin’
Selfishness got us followin’ the wrong direction
A few minutes later, Leibovitz has the president sit in a comfortable chair and then directs the First Lady to perch on the arm. At one point, the First Lady puts her hand on top of his and, instinctively, he wraps his fingers around her thumb. “There’s a lot of huggin’ going on,” says Leibovitz, and everyone laughs. “You’re a very different kind of president and First Lady.”
Get the full story and see more photos at Vogue.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Stephon Marbury Blasts MJ for ‘Kids Getting Killed’ Over Air Jordans
- Toddler Chokes to Death After Mother Dies While Feeding Him (Video)
- Damon Dash & Curren$y End $3M Legal Battle with Settlement
- Michael Moore on Hollywood’s Lack of Diversity: ‘A Form of Apartheid’
- New California Law Requires 'Perceived Ethnicity' Documentation by Police
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson's Explosive Expose on How the NRA Terrorizes Congress
- The Film Strip: Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund in 'PAN' playland
- Watch: The 'Steve Jobs' Trailer
- THE (10-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Chris Bosh & Rasheeda Appear on Tonight's 'ROSEWOOD' on FOX (Video)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here