*Former South African President Nelson Mandela was admitted to the hospital just before midnight Wednesday due to his recurring lung infection, the South African president’s office said today.
“Doctors are attending to him, ensuring that he has the best possible expert medical treatment and comfort,” the government’s statement said.
Mandela, 94, spent 18 days in the hospital in December for a lung infection and gallstones.
“We appeal to the people of South Africa and the world to pray for our beloved Madiba and his family and to keep them in their thoughts,” South African President Jacob Zuma said in the statement. “We have full confidence in the medical team and know that they will do everything possible to ensure recovery.”
The anti-apartheid activist was admitted to a Pretoria hospital March 10 for routine medical tests and to “manage existing conditions in line with his age,” a spokesman for the South African president’s office said.
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Browns Suspicious Houstons Will Sneak Pic of Bobbi Kristina's Body: Report
- DIY Zen Living: Make the Most of Whatever Outdoor Space You Have
- The Wiz Casting, Bobbi Kristina, Racial Profiling App, Janet Jackson & More| BHL
- Whoa! Baltimore Sees 43 Homicides in July - A 43 Year Record for A Single Month
- Family Dynamics Cause Scare in Saturday's 'Flex & Shanice' (WATCH)
- Janet Jackson Continues Tour Rehearsal, Set to Perform at iHeartRadio Festival
- Lauryn Hill Performs Nina Simone’s ‘Feeling Good’ on ‘Fallon’ (Watch)
- Azealia Banks Shades Erykah Badu for Having Multiple Baby Daddies
- Teyonah Parris’ Hair Becomes Storyline for ‘Survivor’s Remorse’ Season 2
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here