*It will be a “Law & Order” reunion in the upcoming Marvin Gaye biopic.
S. Epatha Merkerson, who starred as Lt. Anita van Buren on the NBC drama from 1991-2010, has signed on to play Alberta, the mother of the late singer portrayed in the film by Jesse L. Martin.
Martin played Detective Ed Green on “Law & Order” from 1999-2008.
Earlier this month, Martin replaced Lenny Kravitz in the Julien Temple-directed movie. Martin originally had been attached to play the late singer in a version produced by James Gandolfini — who also had plans to co-star as music promoter Freddy Cousaert — in 2008.
After the project stalled, Kravitz signed on for the lead role in the movie in November, but Gaye’s son Marvin Gaye III voiced his objections to the project, which was said to focus on Gaye’s life in the ’80s when he battled drug abuse and depression. The film now begins with the singer’s attempt to get his career back on track with the help of Cousaert, now being played by Brendan Gleeson.
The project, being produced by Vassal Benton and Fred Bestall, is set to start filming in late March.
Merkerson, meanwhile, is currently recurring on NBC’s Meagan Good drama “Deception” and has recently appeared CBS’ “The Good Wife.”
- Joe Jackson Alert, Feeling Good After Stroke, Heart Attacks
- Stan Sheppard: 'Why Do A&R Directors Positions Still Exist?'
- Dr. Rosie Milligan: It's Time for Black Leadership to Make Sense
- Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone and Others Portrayed in 'A Night With Janis Joplin'
- The Socialist's Journal: Derek Luke
- Bobby Brown Speaks On Bobbi Kristina’s Death
- Nappywood’s 3rd L.A. Natural Hair & Lifestyle Expo Attracts Stars
- THE (07-28-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- NYC Principal Commits Suicide After Found Cheating on Common Core Test, DOE Releases Statement (Video)
- Gilbert Arenas' Deadly Accuracy Gets Him Banned From County Fair
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here