*It will be a “Law & Order” reunion in the upcoming Marvin Gaye biopic.
S. Epatha Merkerson, who starred as Lt. Anita van Buren on the NBC drama from 1991-2010, has signed on to play Alberta, the mother of the late singer portrayed in the film by Jesse L. Martin.
Martin played Detective Ed Green on “Law & Order” from 1999-2008.
Earlier this month, Martin replaced Lenny Kravitz in the Julien Temple-directed movie. Martin originally had been attached to play the late singer in a version produced by James Gandolfini — who also had plans to co-star as music promoter Freddy Cousaert — in 2008.
After the project stalled, Kravitz signed on for the lead role in the movie in November, but Gaye’s son Marvin Gaye III voiced his objections to the project, which was said to focus on Gaye’s life in the ’80s when he battled drug abuse and depression. The film now begins with the singer’s attempt to get his career back on track with the help of Cousaert, now being played by Brendan Gleeson.
The project, being produced by Vassal Benton and Fred Bestall, is set to start filming in late March.
Merkerson, meanwhile, is currently recurring on NBC’s Meagan Good drama “Deception” and has recently appeared CBS’ “The Good Wife.”
- Cynthia Bailey Could Be Demoted on 'Housewives' for Kicking Porsha
- Bokeem Woodbine Looking Like Shaft in ‘Fargo’ Season 2
- Louisiana Cop Exposed in KKK Photo Still On Force; Refuses to Resign
- Man Found With O.J. Simpson’s Stolen Heisman Trophy Arrested
- Afroman Avoids Jail After Punching a Woman in the Face
- ‘The Voice’ Beef: Gwen Stefani Not Happy With Rihanna’s ‘Advisor’ Role?
- Wendy Williams ‘Disappointed’ in Nicki Minaj Checking Miley Cyrus (Watch)
- Deborah Cox Joins Off-Broadway Play about Transgender Identity
- Farrah Franklin (Destiny's Child) Officially Debuts with Sexy New Single: 'Magic and Makeup'
- Black Family Says They Received Racist Threats During Camping Trip
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here