*We just saw Mississippi finally emancipate the enslaved by kicking off this year’s Black History Month with the ratification of the 13th Amendment.
Now, there is yet another first for a town in the southwest.
Since the establishment of Temple, Texas, 130 years ago, there has never been a mayor or mayoral candidate for the town.
But, all that has changed with Lamar Collins throwing his hat in the ring for Mayor, according to KWTX.
Collins is jumping on the opportunity to be mayor of the town since longtime Mayor Bill Jones III will step down in May.
But, when he resigns, there is still one more year left in his term which leaves the city council with the unfortunate task of holding a special election to fill his spot.
- Take a Special Look Inside the Making of 'Straight Outta Compton' (WATCH)
- Report: Leola Brown Thrown Out of Bobbi Kristina Funeral Services
- Lil Kim Claims Mr. Papers Was Physically Abusive
- Jill Scott Talks New Album 'Woman', Motherhood and Longevity
- Khloe Kardashian, Lamar Odom Officially End Their Marriage
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Browns Suspicious Houstons Will Sneak Pic of Bobbi Kristina's Body: Report
- DIY Zen Living: Make the Most of Whatever Outdoor Space You Have
- The Wiz Casting, Bobbi Kristina, Racial Profiling App, Janet Jackson & More| BHL
- Whoa! Baltimore Sees 43 Homicides in July - A 43 Year Record for A Single Month
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here