*We just saw Mississippi finally emancipate the enslaved by kicking off this year’s Black History Month with the ratification of the 13th Amendment.
Now, there is yet another first for a town in the southwest.
Since the establishment of Temple, Texas, 130 years ago, there has never been a mayor or mayoral candidate for the town.
But, all that has changed with Lamar Collins throwing his hat in the ring for Mayor, according to KWTX.
Collins is jumping on the opportunity to be mayor of the town since longtime Mayor Bill Jones III will step down in May.
But, when he resigns, there is still one more year left in his term which leaves the city council with the unfortunate task of holding a special election to fill his spot.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- K. Michelle: Ex Lance Stephenson’s Rant Against Her Was From Hacker
- Derek Fisher Vacations with Matt Barnes Ex Gloria Govan After Knicks Boot
- Kanye West Claims Taylor Swift Gave ‘B*tch’ Lyric Her Blessing
- Nick Cannon and Stevie J Deny Acrimony During ‘Wild ‘N Out’ Taping
- $188 Million Powerball Winner, Marie Holmes, Allegedly Being Sued by Local Pastor
- Camille Cosby Must Give Deposition in Bill Cosby's Sexual Assault Case ... with Limits
- Lamar Odom's First Public Appearance is Kanye’s 'Yeezy Season 3' Show
- Va. Parents Mad As Heck Over White Guilt Video About 'Unequal Opportunity'
- TrOyMan: Back Again with New EP & Single
- 'RACE' Kicks Off NBA All Star Weekend 2016 with Red Carpet Screening (PHOTOS)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here