*We just saw Mississippi finally emancipate the enslaved by kicking off this year’s Black History Month with the ratification of the 13th Amendment.
Now, there is yet another first for a town in the southwest.
Since the establishment of Temple, Texas, 130 years ago, there has never been a mayor or mayoral candidate for the town.
But, all that has changed with Lamar Collins throwing his hat in the ring for Mayor, according to KWTX.
Collins is jumping on the opportunity to be mayor of the town since longtime Mayor Bill Jones III will step down in May.
But, when he resigns, there is still one more year left in his term which leaves the city council with the unfortunate task of holding a special election to fill his spot.
- The Weeknd Covers Beyonce at Billboard Hot 100 Festival [Watch]
- Ohio Cop Pulls Man Over for 'Making Direct Eye Contact' (Watch)
- WATCH! Rapper Kevin Gates Viciously Kicks Woman in Chest/Facial Area
- History Making ‘Les Miserables’ Star Kyle Jean-Baptiste Dies at 21
- EUR on the Scene: Exclusive Look Inside the 2015 VMAs
- Jamaican Author Shares Her Story on Being Raped at Gunpoint; Empowers Women to Triumph Over Adversity
- Detroit's ZanYe Digs Deep for Ballroom with Reboot of Four Tops Classic
- Fox Gives ‘Empire’ Fans Early Prep for Season 2 with 22-Minute Featurette (WATCH)
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Marriage Inspires New Sitcom
- Tyler, the Creator Banned from UK Over 'Terrorist' Lyrics
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here