*We just saw Mississippi finally emancipate the enslaved by kicking off this year’s Black History Month with the ratification of the 13th Amendment.
Now, there is yet another first for a town in the southwest.
Since the establishment of Temple, Texas, 130 years ago, there has never been a mayor or mayoral candidate for the town.
But, all that has changed with Lamar Collins throwing his hat in the ring for Mayor, according to KWTX.
Collins is jumping on the opportunity to be mayor of the town since longtime Mayor Bill Jones III will step down in May.
But, when he resigns, there is still one more year left in his term which leaves the city council with the unfortunate task of holding a special election to fill his spot.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Laquan McDonald Killing Prompts Protesters to Target Black Friday Shopping Areas
- Kim Foxx Vows Reform for Chicago After Laquan McDonald Case
- #BLM Movement Picks Up Support from Benjamin Chavis and NNPA
- Jahlil Okafor: 76ers Rookie in Fight Outside Boston Nightspot (VIDEO)
- Black Fox News Co-Host Asked if She 'Makes Kool-Aid' (WATCH)
- THE (11-27-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- R&B Soul Jazz Singer Kenya Covers 'Little Drummer Boy' (Listen)
- T-Pain Tells Larry King Why He's 'Done with Making Hits!’
- ‘Creed’ Dir. Ryan Coogler Pays Tribute to His Father in 'Rocky' Spin-Off
- President Obama's Statement Regarding Laquan McDonald Murder
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here