*We just saw Mississippi finally emancipate the enslaved by kicking off this year’s Black History Month with the ratification of the 13th Amendment.
Now, there is yet another first for a town in the southwest.
Since the establishment of Temple, Texas, 130 years ago, there has never been a mayor or mayoral candidate for the town.
But, all that has changed with Lamar Collins throwing his hat in the ring for Mayor, according to KWTX.
Collins is jumping on the opportunity to be mayor of the town since longtime Mayor Bill Jones III will step down in May.
But, when he resigns, there is still one more year left in his term which leaves the city council with the unfortunate task of holding a special election to fill his spot.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Prince Update: Family Gifted Big Bucks by George Lopez
- Latice Crawford Releases ‘Diary of a Church Girl’ May 20
- Wilmore's 'My Nigga' to Obama Gets Black Twitter Approval, But not Najee Ali
- Aisha Tyler: African-American Teens Must 'Be Brave' About College
- Poet Pens Stunning Piece About Appropriating Black Slang (WATCH)
- Oprah's Not Worried About Flack From Church Folk
- Prince Entered Treatment Program for Hip Pain & Medication Use
- Kehoe Brothers to Direct R-rated Action-comedy for Tyler Perry
- Beyonce's Lemonade Drama, Prince Updates, Boycotting Target and More! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH President Obama Crack on Trump, Bernie and More at WHCD
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here