*De La Soul is celebrating 25 years as a band by putting out their first new music and video in nearly a decade.
Next week, the trio will release “Get Away,” their first collective effort since 2004’s “The Grind Date.” In March they shot a video for the song, which samples a skit from the Wu-Tang Clan’s 1997 “Wu-Tang Forever.”
Group member Maseo tells RollingStone.com, “I think it’s a great record to reintroduce ourselves with. It’s pretty much reflecting on the state of hip-hop at this moment. Everything is redundant. Everything sounds the same. No real lyrical content. Everybody’s just doing business, not really creating.”
“Get Away” is the first of De La Soul’s planned series of monthly single releases through YouTube and social media.
“I think putting out those singles would be more impressionable than dropping an album at this present day in music,” said Maseo, adding that the group will eventually release a long-in-the-works album, “You’re Welcome.” “It’s about trying to just creatively have a bunch of songs in the stable. You have to consider a lot from the administrative standpoint in the release of a project. I see the song that we’re putting out being the perfect B-side – with a video this time.”
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Lupita Nyong’o to Make NY Stage Debut in Danai Gurira's ‘Eclipsed’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here