*De La Soul is celebrating 25 years as a band by putting out their first new music and video in nearly a decade.
Next week, the trio will release “Get Away,” their first collective effort since 2004’s “The Grind Date.” In March they shot a video for the song, which samples a skit from the Wu-Tang Clan’s 1997 “Wu-Tang Forever.”
Group member Maseo tells RollingStone.com, “I think it’s a great record to reintroduce ourselves with. It’s pretty much reflecting on the state of hip-hop at this moment. Everything is redundant. Everything sounds the same. No real lyrical content. Everybody’s just doing business, not really creating.”
“Get Away” is the first of De La Soul’s planned series of monthly single releases through YouTube and social media.
“I think putting out those singles would be more impressionable than dropping an album at this present day in music,” said Maseo, adding that the group will eventually release a long-in-the-works album, “You’re Welcome.” “It’s about trying to just creatively have a bunch of songs in the stable. You have to consider a lot from the administrative standpoint in the release of a project. I see the song that we’re putting out being the perfect B-side – with a video this time.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Jennifer Hudson Dishes on Film Roles, Style and Weight Loss
- Sparkletainment Presents 'Loves Freedom' a One-woman Stage Performance (WATCH)
- 'Why You Always Lying' Creator Calls Viral Success 'Crazy'
- Deitrick Haddon Unveils Cover of 'MasterPiece'
- How to Successfully Balance Family, Parenting and Entertainment
- Terrence Howard Repays Rapper Petey Pablo with Role on 'Empire'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here