*De La Soul is celebrating 25 years as a band by putting out their first new music and video in nearly a decade.
Next week, the trio will release “Get Away,” their first collective effort since 2004’s “The Grind Date.” In March they shot a video for the song, which samples a skit from the Wu-Tang Clan’s 1997 “Wu-Tang Forever.”
Group member Maseo tells RollingStone.com, “I think it’s a great record to reintroduce ourselves with. It’s pretty much reflecting on the state of hip-hop at this moment. Everything is redundant. Everything sounds the same. No real lyrical content. Everybody’s just doing business, not really creating.”
“Get Away” is the first of De La Soul’s planned series of monthly single releases through YouTube and social media.
“I think putting out those singles would be more impressionable than dropping an album at this present day in music,” said Maseo, adding that the group will eventually release a long-in-the-works album, “You’re Welcome.” “It’s about trying to just creatively have a bunch of songs in the stable. You have to consider a lot from the administrative standpoint in the release of a project. I see the song that we’re putting out being the perfect B-side – with a video this time.”
- Terrence Howard Tweets He's Still Attached to 3rd Wife Mira Pak
- 9-Yr-Old Ferguson Girl, Killed as She Did Homework, Remembered on Sunday
- Richard Pryor Biopic Officially Adds Oprah Winfrey and Eddie Murphy
- Kobe and Shaq Squash Years Long Beef on Podcast (LISTEN)
- ‘Compton’ Three-Peats at No. 1; ‘War Room’ Captures Faith-Based Crowd With $11 Mil Debut
- THE (08-31-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Kanye to Run for President, Revisits Taylor Swift Hijack (WATCH)
- Snoop Dogg Reinterpreted As European Noblemen [LOOK!]
- Watch: Today You Wouldn't Recognize the Little Boy from 'Katrina' (Hint: He's Now a Grown ... Woman!)
- The Soul of the U.S. Open: Serena Williams' Quest; Tournament Preview
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here