*De La Soul is celebrating 25 years as a band by putting out their first new music and video in nearly a decade.
Next week, the trio will release “Get Away,” their first collective effort since 2004’s “The Grind Date.” In March they shot a video for the song, which samples a skit from the Wu-Tang Clan’s 1997 “Wu-Tang Forever.”
Group member Maseo tells RollingStone.com, “I think it’s a great record to reintroduce ourselves with. It’s pretty much reflecting on the state of hip-hop at this moment. Everything is redundant. Everything sounds the same. No real lyrical content. Everybody’s just doing business, not really creating.”
“Get Away” is the first of De La Soul’s planned series of monthly single releases through YouTube and social media.
“I think putting out those singles would be more impressionable than dropping an album at this present day in music,” said Maseo, adding that the group will eventually release a long-in-the-works album, “You’re Welcome.” “It’s about trying to just creatively have a bunch of songs in the stable. You have to consider a lot from the administrative standpoint in the release of a project. I see the song that we’re putting out being the perfect B-side – with a video this time.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- OMG! Did Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, Really Respond to My Friendly 'Hello?'
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Prince Update: Family Gifted Big Bucks by George Lopez
- Latice Crawford Releases ‘Diary of a Church Girl’ May 20
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here