*De La Soul is celebrating 25 years as a band by putting out their first new music and video in nearly a decade.
Next week, the trio will release “Get Away,” their first collective effort since 2004’s “The Grind Date.” In March they shot a video for the song, which samples a skit from the Wu-Tang Clan’s 1997 “Wu-Tang Forever.”
Group member Maseo tells RollingStone.com, “I think it’s a great record to reintroduce ourselves with. It’s pretty much reflecting on the state of hip-hop at this moment. Everything is redundant. Everything sounds the same. No real lyrical content. Everybody’s just doing business, not really creating.”
“Get Away” is the first of De La Soul’s planned series of monthly single releases through YouTube and social media.
“I think putting out those singles would be more impressionable than dropping an album at this present day in music,” said Maseo, adding that the group will eventually release a long-in-the-works album, “You’re Welcome.” “It’s about trying to just creatively have a bunch of songs in the stable. You have to consider a lot from the administrative standpoint in the release of a project. I see the song that we’re putting out being the perfect B-side – with a video this time.”
- Nick Cannon Weighs in on Mariah Carey and her New Man
- Jason Derulo Misjudged Potential of New Song ‘Want to Want Me’
- Watch Beyonce Frolic in Rainbow Gear to Celebrate Marriage Equality
- Emmitt Smith Backs Out of Judging Miss USA Pageant
- Serena, Venus Advance at Wimbledon, One Step Closer to Facing Each Other
- SF 49er RB Reggie Bush Puts MI Home on Market for $2.4M (Pics)
- NeNe Leakes, Betty White, Anthony Anderson Lead ABC’s ‘To Tell the Truth’ Reboot
- Easily Distracted? 5 Ways to Focus Better at the Office
- Urban Movie Channel Launches 'Fall Out Fridays' Comedy Specials
- Janet Jackson Launches New Unbreakable Diamonds Collection
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here