*The upcoming Jackie Robinson biopic, “42,” is proving to be very influential.
At the White House on Tuesday, the First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama, hosted 80 high school and college students from across the country for a screening of the film. That was followed by an interactive workshop with the cast and crew of the movie. Jackie Robinson, the very first African American to play major league baseball.
The panel, featuring the stars of the film, Chadwick Boseman, Brian Helgeland and Harrison Ford, was moderated by Paulette Aniskoff, Director of the White House Office of Public Engagement.
Students from Gaithersburg, MD, Alexandra, VA and Los Angeles, CA took part in the discussion which also included Jackie Robinson’s widow, Rachel.
It was the perfect opportunity for Mrs. Obama to explain to the young folk how Mrs. Robinson’s example can be their guide.
“Jackie and Rachel Robinson weren’t destined for greatness — they prepared themselves for greatness, which meant that they could make a difference outside of baseball, as well. And that is the only thing that is important for you to understand. You can be great in your profession, you can earn a lot of money, you can be famous, but the question is what are you doing for others.”
“42” opens nationwide on April 12.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Drake Getting Sued By Producer Detail Over Broken Jaw Assault
- Watch: Hundreds Gather to Support Wealthy Black Family Victimized by 'Hate Crime'
- 'Concrete Park' Collides with 'Blokhedz' at Harvard University
- Yodovo.com Encourages Blacks: Be Loud, Black and Proud
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Janelle Monáe to Wardrobe Critic: ‘I’m Not For Male Consumption’
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here