*The upcoming Jackie Robinson biopic, “42,” is proving to be very influential.
At the White House on Tuesday, the First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama, hosted 80 high school and college students from across the country for a screening of the film. That was followed by an interactive workshop with the cast and crew of the movie. Jackie Robinson, the very first African American to play major league baseball.
The panel, featuring the stars of the film, Chadwick Boseman, Brian Helgeland and Harrison Ford, was moderated by Paulette Aniskoff, Director of the White House Office of Public Engagement.
Students from Gaithersburg, MD, Alexandra, VA and Los Angeles, CA took part in the discussion which also included Jackie Robinson’s widow, Rachel.
It was the perfect opportunity for Mrs. Obama to explain to the young folk how Mrs. Robinson’s example can be their guide.
“Jackie and Rachel Robinson weren’t destined for greatness — they prepared themselves for greatness, which meant that they could make a difference outside of baseball, as well. And that is the only thing that is important for you to understand. You can be great in your profession, you can earn a lot of money, you can be famous, but the question is what are you doing for others.”
“42” opens nationwide on April 12.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Ne-Yo’s Ex-Fiance Moyetta Shaw Posts Pics With New Millionaire Man
- Too Bad Girlfriends Don't Know Everything
- Suge Knight Loses Phone and Visitor Privileges in Jail
- Wiz Khalifa Inks Deal to Release Own Line of Weed Strains
- Stop Complaining About that Mole, This Could've Happened!
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here