*Jennifer Hudson, Octavia Spencer, Ernie Hudson and James Avery are among the star-packed cast of Lifetime’s “Call Me Crazy: A Five Film,” an extension of the Five franchise that launched in 2011 with the Lifetime Original Movie “Five.”
“Call Me Crazy,” premiering Saturday (April 20) at 8 p.m., is comprised of five shorts named after each title character — Lucy, Eddie, Allison, Grace and Maggie. Each short highlights what happens when a loved one struggles with mental illness.
Hudson stars in “Maggie,” a female veteran who returns home from war to her son and father (Ernie Hudson), only to have her life shattered by the onset of posttraumatic stress disorder, through which her lawyer, “Lucy” (Brittany Snow), helps her. “Maggie” was written by Erin Cressida Wilson and directed by Ashley Judd.
“Lucy,” written by Deirdre O’Connor and directed by Bryce Dallas Howard, follows the title character when she was a law student who found herself amidst the horror of schizophrenia. She winds up in an institution where, through the support of a new friend, meds and her psychotherapist Dr. Nance (Spencer), begins her path to not only healing, but a promising future.
James Avery appears in the short “Eddie,” which delves into the world of depression as seen through the eyes of a comedian’s wife as she grapples with understanding how her husband Eddie, whom is so loved, can be so withdrawn and overcome with sadness. It was directed by Bonnie Hunt and written by Stephan Godchaux.
The first “Five” film, in 2011, featured Rosario Dawson, Tracee Ellis Ross and Jenifer Lewis in an Alicia Keys-directed short that focused on the effect breast cancer and its different stages of diagnosis have on relationships.
Watch an extended preview of “Call Me Crazy: A Five Film” below.
- THE (08-31-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Kanye to Run for President, Revisits Taylor Swift Hijack (WATCH)
- Snoop Dogg Reinterpreted As European Noblemen [LOOK!]
- Watch: Today You Wouldn't Recognize the Little Boy from 'Katrina' (Hint: He's Now a Grown ... Woman!)
- The Soul of the U.S. Open: Serena Williams' Quest; Tournament Preview
- Tiffany Pollard and Her Mother Set to Appear on VH1’s 'Family Therapy'
- Trevor Noah Teases ‘The Daily Show’ Takeover [WATCH]
- Caitlyn Jenner Adult Unisex Costume Timely for Halloween, But LGBT Community Not Amused
- NeNe Leakes Confirms Hosting Gig on ‘Fashion Police’
- FDA Clears the Way for 'The Little Pink Pill' Viagra for Women!
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here