*In an interview with HuffPost Live, Jada Pinkett Smith, 41, explained her definition of the “open marriage” she’s shared for the past 16 years with husband Will Smith.
“I’ve always told Will, ‘You can do whatever you want as long as you can look at yourself in the mirror and be okay,'” she told HuffPost Live’s Marc Lamont Hill. “Because at the end of the day, Will is his own man. I’m here as his partner, but he is his own man. He has to decide who he wants to be and that’s not for me to do for him. Or vice versa.”
The couple married in a small ceremony in 1997 after meeting on the set of “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.” Talk of their open marriage began back in 2008, when tabloids claimed the “I Am Legend” star said his wife could be with another man if she felt she needed to.
Rumors surfaced last year that Jada cheated with Marc Anthony and that she and Will were headed for divorce. The couple has denied the allegations, but the actress admits that marriage takes a lot of work, and it’s best if both parties start off with a solid friendship.
“I don’t think it’s easy to be married to anyone,” she told Hill. “I think that you have to go into a relationship knowing — especially when you’re dedicating to someone for the rest of your life — this is a life partnership … He’s my best friend. He’s been by my side through some of the most difficult parts of my life. And so that’s something you can never take away.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Video Shows Raven-Symone Didn't Get 'Slapped Upside the Chest' (WATCH)
- VIDEO: Who will President Obama Pick to Replace Justice Scalia?
- Toni Braxton Confirms 'Love, Marriage & Divorce Part 2' with Babyface
- Jaden Smith Flaunts New Tesla X, That's Not Even Available Yet
- Obama Informs Republicans He WILL Nominate Scalia's Replacement
- Hip-Hop Met Fats Waller in LA!
- Michael Jordan's Rep Responds to 'Crying Jordan' Memes
- Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia Found Dead
- Steph, Ayesha & Michelle Have Fun with 'Banana' Song (WATCH)
- TV Review: The Black Panthers Van Guard of the Revolution
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here