*In an interview with HuffPost Live, Jada Pinkett Smith, 41, explained her definition of the “open marriage” she’s shared for the past 16 years with husband Will Smith.
“I’ve always told Will, ‘You can do whatever you want as long as you can look at yourself in the mirror and be okay,'” she told HuffPost Live’s Marc Lamont Hill. “Because at the end of the day, Will is his own man. I’m here as his partner, but he is his own man. He has to decide who he wants to be and that’s not for me to do for him. Or vice versa.”
The couple married in a small ceremony in 1997 after meeting on the set of “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.” Talk of their open marriage began back in 2008, when tabloids claimed the “I Am Legend” star said his wife could be with another man if she felt she needed to.
Rumors surfaced last year that Jada cheated with Marc Anthony and that she and Will were headed for divorce. The couple has denied the allegations, but the actress admits that marriage takes a lot of work, and it’s best if both parties start off with a solid friendship.
“I don’t think it’s easy to be married to anyone,” she told Hill. “I think that you have to go into a relationship knowing — especially when you’re dedicating to someone for the rest of your life — this is a life partnership … He’s my best friend. He’s been by my side through some of the most difficult parts of my life. And so that’s something you can never take away.”
- THE (07-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- The New Trailer for Universal Pictures’ 'Steve Jobs' has Just Debuted Online [Watch]
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Happy 116th Birthday to World’s Oldest, Susannah Mushatt Jones (Video)
- Aretha Franklin Thanks Illinois for Helping Her after Bus Broke Down
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here