*Lauryn Hill says she didn’t bother to pay taxes for three years and stayed out of the public eye for so long because of threats to herself and her family.
According to TMZ, the singer filed legal docs asking for mercy before her sentencing later this month, explaining why she failed to file tax returns for 2005, ’06 and ’07 when she earned more than $1.8 million. She has already pleaded guilty and faces several years in prison.
The former Fugees member said she stopped paying taxes “when she withdrew from society at large due to what she perceived as manipulation and very real threats to herself and her family.” No details about the threats were given.
Lauryn is seeking probation and wants the court to consider other factors before her sentencing, including her claim that she can pay off the debt much faster if she’s not behind bars.
Hill faces the judge on April 22.
- Jordan Flaherty Explores Racial and Economic Justice Issues in New Documentary Series
- THE (07-02-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- See the Highly Anticipated WGN Thriller 'Underground' at the 2015 Essence Festival with Jurnee Smollett and Show's Other Stars
- OWN's 'The Haves and the Have Nots' Set Ratings Records
- Why Aren't Our Black Celebrities Supporting Black Theatre ... Financially?
- Bobby Shmurda's Girlfriend Busted Smuggling Shank Into Rikers
- B.Scott Accompanies Laverne Cox to BET Awards
- Nick Cannon Weighs in on Mariah Carey and her New Man
- Jason Derulo Misjudged Potential of New Song ‘Want to Want Me’
- Watch Beyonce Frolic in Rainbow Gear to Celebrate Marriage Equality
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here