*Lauryn Hill says she didn’t bother to pay taxes for three years and stayed out of the public eye for so long because of threats to herself and her family.
According to TMZ, the singer filed legal docs asking for mercy before her sentencing later this month, explaining why she failed to file tax returns for 2005, ’06 and ’07 when she earned more than $1.8 million. She has already pleaded guilty and faces several years in prison.
The former Fugees member said she stopped paying taxes “when she withdrew from society at large due to what she perceived as manipulation and very real threats to herself and her family.” No details about the threats were given.
Lauryn is seeking probation and wants the court to consider other factors before her sentencing, including her claim that she can pay off the debt much faster if she’s not behind bars.
Hill faces the judge on April 22.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Erykah Badu on Azealia Banks Beef: 'We Can Spiral Out of Control With Style'
- ‘Creed’ Dir. Ryan Coogler Pays Tribute to His Father in 'Rocky' Spin-Off
- Black Fox News Co-Host Asked if She 'Makes Kool-Aid' (WATCH)
- President Obama's Statement Regarding Laquan McDonald Murder
- Dr. Rapp: Enjoy Patti's Pie, Avoid Fatti's Pounds
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' & Calls Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Old Email from Farrell, PA's New Police Chief Includes the Word 'N*gger' and Prompts Outrage ... and Support from the Town's Black Mayor
- 60% of Staff at Movie Theater in Connecticut Have a Disability
- Bowlegged Lou's Personal Insight Into TV One's UnSung Marathon
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here